Olhausen slate thickness???

Talk about pool, billiard or snooker tables and related gadgets. How do you install a felt? What's the cool new table accessory? Who makes this table? More questions are answered here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Rule 1: Posts must be in English or have an English translation.
Rule 2: No spamming, trolling, flaming or use of foul, defamatory or abusive language.
Rule 3: Any posts that encourage illegal intent will be removed and the account disabled immediately.
Rule 4: No advertising of any sort. You may advertise in the Advertising forum only.

The moderators reserve the right to edit, delete, or prune any and all Messages which, in our opinion, violates any of the rules as stated above. Offenders will be warned and may be banned for non-compliance.

Olhausen slate thickness???

Postby ntruax on Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:27 pm

Does anyone here know for sure what the thickness is on different size tables? I read somewhere on here that someone thought that 7 and 8 foot had 7/8ths and that 8 1/2 and 9 had 1". I am getting ready to buy a new table and the sales woman said that "Olhausen doesn't make 1" slate"... Then said "well they do but its special order" :? . I told her I was interested in an 8 1/2 or 9 foot table so I'm just curious.

Thanks.
ntruax
Forum Amateur
Forum Amateur

Postby Poolschool on Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:51 pm

7 and 8' tables come standard with 7/8" Italian slate. 8'OS and 9' tables come standard with 1" Italian slate. 7 and 8' models can be upgraded to 1" for $60-100's.
Poolschool
Forum Mentor
Forum Mentor

Postby Nemesis on Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:16 am

Poolschool, can you give some feedback on the Grand Champion Pro model featured in your avatar. The Olhausen website does not say much about it and I ordered the 9 foot. For example, what kind of construction materials might I expect to be used with that model and how does that model stack up against the other models.
Nemesis
Forum Crusader
Forum Crusader

Postby ntruax on Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:47 am

Thanks Poolschool. That was my understanding from what I had read on here but I just wanted to make sure.
ntruax
Forum Amateur
Forum Amateur

Postby Poolschool on Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:02 am

Nemesis... The Grand Champion is a very well constructed table. It is mainly constructed of poplar and laminated poplar. This is a softer hardwood that is commonly used as the internals for tables. It is soft but has excellent elasticity to withstand alot of abuse. The poplar rails are covered with a very durable, dent, scratch and burn resistant laminate. Most cases it is Black Laminate but others are available. The corner castings and apron miters are powder coated for durability. The understructure is made up of laminated poplar that will stand up to any type of abuse. 1" thick Italian slate is framed by a 3/4" poplar lining to hold up even after 100's of recovery's. This table is a tank, no doubt. Its one of the most durable commercial grade tables on the market. Keep me up to date on your delivery. Have you found anyone who would set the table up? They gave you an excellent price. I'm glad to hear you went ahead and purchased the table. You will not regret it. Thats a pretty brief summary of what to expect, as far as construction is concerned. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.
Jason
Poolschool
Forum Mentor
Forum Mentor

Postby Nemesis on Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:34 pm

Thanks, Jason. I haven't found anyone yet but will try to see if anyone is availabale in these parts. The table is supposed to ship in mid February and should be here by mid March. I have a few questions left:

1. What is used to fill the holes in the slate after the screws are put in?

2. What exactly is the Uniliner that Olhausen refers to? And is the slate backed completely in the construction?

3. Can the materials you mentioned stand up to the high humidity of the tropics?

4. What is the most difficult thing to look out for in setting up the table?
Nemesis
Forum Crusader
Forum Crusader

Postby Poolschool on Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:44 am

I would suggest using an all natural bees wax. Bees wax has a very high melting point so it will dry very hard after being melted by a torch. Some people use plaster-of-paris. It will not shrink while its curing and it dries fast when mixed with warm water. The only downside is its very messy and can be a pain to get off if you ever have your slate releveled or move. I have seen people use all types of fillers for the seams and holes but the two listed would be the only thing I suggest. The application of both isnt as easy as it sounds. It may take some practice to perfect it.

2. What exactly is the Uniliner that Olhausen refers to? And is the slate backed completely in the construction?

The Uni-liner is basically a laminated piece of poplar-ply that will hit every load bearing point between the slate framing and the cabinet. Its a very ingenious design but adds a tremendous amount of strength to the table. It helps spread the weight out over a larger area. Its the same idea as putting a piece of plywood on an old roof so while your on it you dont fall through. Roofers use this all the time. As for the slate being backed completely...No it isnt backed completely. Its not needed on every point of the underside of the slate, only at the load bearing points and the edges. The framing on the Grand Champ is poplar which is an excellent hardwood for slate framing. Poplar has a natural self healing ability, meaning that after a staple is pulled out it will kind of fill the void where the staple once was.
3. Can the materials you mentioned stand up to the high humidity of the tropics?

To answer your question truthfully... I dont know??? I have never had a customer that was in a tropical enviroment. I live in Ohio which is a Mid-Western state that is known for its variations in atmospheric conditions. We havent had any problems that Im aware of on any of the Olhausen tables. I think mainly because they use very rigid straight grain wood that is kiln dried and monitered over a period of time before coating it with any sealants or finishes. The majority of the wood used on your table will have a sealant coat to prevent any moisture intake that may cause the wood to expand or contract. The only raw materials that will be exposed on your table will be the slate liner(framing) and the very bottom edge of your aprons. All of the remaining wood will be coated with a sealant. I dont see this table giving you any problems as long as the installation is done correctly. The installation will definetly make or break the table.
4. What is the most difficult thing to look out for in setting up the table?

The most crucial part in a good functional table will be the leveling. Not only under the legs but the slate must be leveled individualy to achieve a perfectly level playing surface. Cosmeticaly the most crucial part is the installation of the cloth on both the bed and the rails. Again its not as easy as it sounds. It took me 5+ years to learn the correct way to apply the cloth to the bed. The rails are tricky but not near as tricky as the bed. Did you get Simonis? If you did you have to call me before you or anyone else puts it on the table. There are a few tricks I have learned when applying Simonis on the bed and rails.
Hopefully this helps.
Poolschool
Forum Mentor
Forum Mentor

Postby Poolschool on Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:59 am

Hey I made it to 1000 + 1 posts... I never thought I would have 1000 posts. I used to browse this site and read all of the info on tables. I never thought I was one for any type of forum but I have learned a ton from members of this site. I'm glad I became a member. I've made some really good friends on this site and I hope to continue to provide and take in as much info as possible. I have a passion for pool, its in my blood. My father was an installer for a local dealer in Cincinnati, OH in the 70's and played excellent pool. My grandfather was a great pool player and learned how to recover pool tables in the Army while stationed in Hawaii after the bombing of Pearl Harbor. He said that being stationed there was like a vacation. All they did was clean up, play pool, drink beer and pick up chics... :mrgreen:
I enjoy talking about tables as much as I enjoy playing pool. For most people its boring but I find it interesting and I like to be helpfull to others as well. Thanks everyone!!!
Poolschool
Forum Mentor
Forum Mentor

Postby badandy on Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:37 am

your posts are always informative. at first i thought, oh no, we got ourselves a salesman but you have proved over time to transcend that mold (at least in my mind) and provide just good table info regardless of brand. like most everyone at ept, you are about promoting and helping other to build their knowledge and appreciation about pool.

that enough of that sugary sweet syrupy stuff. at your rate of posts, you will catch up with me, when you do then you know you need a life. :lol:
badandy
Moderator/EPT Writer
Moderator/EPT Writer

Postby Nemesis on Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:58 pm

Poolschool wrote:

I would suggest using an all natural bees wax. Bees wax has a very high melting point so it will dry very hard after being melted by a torch. Some people use plaster-of-paris. It will not shrink while its curing and it dries fast when mixed with warm water. The only downside is its very messy and can be a pain to get off if you ever have your slate releveled or move. I have seen people use all types of fillers for the seams and holes but the two listed would be the only thing I suggest. The application of both isnt as easy as it sounds. It may take some practice to perfect it.

[quote]

If I ever have to move the table, which is easier to get out - bees wax or plaster of paris? Also, where can I find bees wax. In these parts, there are many marinas and much wooden work on yachts. Is it possible that this is also used on decking or something?
Nemesis
Forum Crusader
Forum Crusader

Postby badandy on Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:42 pm

most craft supply stores sell bees wax.
badandy
Moderator/EPT Writer
Moderator/EPT Writer

Postby Nemesis on Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:26 pm

badandy...Ever see a one road town? There ain't no shopping here in Tortola, but plenty of sand and sea :D
Nemesis
Forum Crusader
Forum Crusader

Postby badandy on Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:26 pm

got any bees flying around?
badandy
Moderator/EPT Writer
Moderator/EPT Writer

Postby Poolschool on Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:11 am

badandy wrote:got any bees flying around?

:mrgreen:

You should probably look into ordering some from a website that will ship to the Virgin Islands. try www.poolndarts.com
Poolschool
Forum Mentor
Forum Mentor

Postby Nemesis on Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:23 pm

Thanks. I was about to check the local apiary.
Nemesis
Forum Crusader
Forum Crusader

Next

Return to All About Tables