Drill Request - Please Respond!

Discuss game situations with other EPT members. A very cool pool diagramming tool (CueTable) is included to help visually illustrate table layouts. Check it out!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Rule 1: Posts must be in English or have an English translation.
Rule 2: No spamming, trolling, flaming or use of foul, defamatory or abusive language.
Rule 3: Any posts that encourage illegal intent will be removed and the account disabled immediately.
Rule 4: No advertising of any sort. You may advertise in the Advertising forum only.

The moderators reserve the right to edit, delete, or prune any and all Messages which, in our opinion, violates any of the rules as stated above. Offenders will be warned and may be banned for non-compliance.

Drill Request - Please Respond!

Postby nicerack on Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:39 pm

Hello Everyone,

I'm at the point where I feel comfortable with center ball shots, and I'd like to ease into learning cue ball english.

This is my question - can anyone tell me of a drill that would allow me to set up balls at certain points on the table and then introduce a new english shot on each ball? For example:

Pocket the 1 ball, then follow to the 2 ball...
Pocket the 2 ball, then draw to the 3 ball...
Pocket the 3 ball, then use stop to leave for the 4 ball...
Pocket the 4 ball, then use right to leave for the 5 ball...
Pocket the 5 ball, then use high/right to leave for the 6 ball...
Pocket the 6 ball, then use low/left to leave for the 7 ball...
etc.

If someone could point me to a book or a website with a drill similar to the one that I've described, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Mark
nicerack
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby badandy on Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:34 am

that would be quite difficult, especialy learning english. to go that many balls in sequence requres more then just the amount of english. speed control and such that would make you go off of the 'planned' routine even if you performed the english 100%.

i would do 2 or 3 balls or do as i sometimes do, just shoot a couple of racks using nothing but L or R english not worring about position etc. just concentrate on making the ball and watch the cb to be sure you pulled the english. it works wonders.
badandy
Moderator/EPT Writer
Moderator/EPT Writer

Postby nicerack on Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:40 pm

That sounds like good advice and I’ll certainly use it.

I can draw pretty well, and I find follow rather easy. The reason that I requested the drill is that before I get down on a shot, I’ll look for where I want the cue ball to stop and I’m not really sure of how to get it there.

That’s what I wanted the drill for- so I’ll know exactly what effect “high right”, or “low left” will have. I’m just looking for a drill that I can practice over and over…
nicerack
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby Dawgie on Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:57 pm

Try this drill - Place 4 balls spaced one ball apart on long just above the foot spot. Take the c/b and place it on the foot spot and hit it into the opposite rail with a little right english and try to get the c/b to bounce off the rail and come back and hit the first ball that you placed on the rail. When you have been successful with the first ball maybe about 3 times in a row - now try the same thing trying to hit the second ball on the rail. Continue doing this until you have hit all four ball at least three times in a row. This will teach you the the right amount of english needed, speed, and follow through.

When you feel comfortable move the 4 balls just above the side pocket and try to hit them.
Dawgie
Forum Preacher
Forum Preacher

Postby BECue on Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:05 pm

Try this drill: Setup an object ball and cue ball on the same spot over and over and shoot it with 3 different stroke speeds (soft, medium and hard) and vary the hit on the cue ball (eg. center ball, follow, draw, low left, middle left, high left, low right, middle right, high right). This will show you how to pocket an object ball with different hits on the cue ball and it will also show you cue ball direction with the different kinds of hits.

Try to setup the cueball and object ball at certain angles (eg. 5, 10, 15, 30 degrees, etc). This way you will familiarize yourself with all the different angles.
Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend. - Bruce Lee
BECue
Moderator/Cuemaker
Moderator/Cuemaker

Postby Dawgie on Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:38 am

http://www.easypooltutor.com/article-cat-3.html

Go here. There are plenty of drills to help anyone. That's what's great about EPT - Free drills, written lessons and instruction, vidoes, and of course help from your pool shooting on line buddies.
Dawgie
Forum Preacher
Forum Preacher

Postby chino on Wed May 09, 2007 4:44 am

You can try this drill too. Shooting them in order making sure you leave the CB in the middle of the table with a good angle for your next shot. CB must not hit any ball after you hit your intended OB. good warm-up exercise.
chino
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

Postby VINCE on Fri May 11, 2007 10:17 pm

The Drill of Doom…
Set up the balls as shown. Notice the Cue ball is one ball width from the center of the table. Make the one ball in the side and without using side English, staying on the vertical centerline (so top and bottom are ok) of the cue ball and varying the amount of cut (cheating the pocket to one side or the other)… have the cue ball hit any of the other balls on the table without the cue ball going to a rail first. When I hit the ball I just move it to the other side of the table, set the shot up again and go for the next ball. Once you get the feel for it, make it a little tougher, go for a ball on the top rail (as pictured), then for one on the bottom rail, then one the side.
I usually stuff a shirt or towel or something in the side pocket, so the one ball will roll back out onto the table, makes it much much easier to set the shot up again and hit the next ball.
I usually do the drill two different ways.
First time I try to get the cue ball to very slowly hit the other balls, as if that’s the exact position I was trying to play.
Next time I try to get the cue to hit the target ball pretty hard, as if I was trying to break up a cluster at that spot.
VINCE
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

Return to How would you play this?