PLAYING WITH OVERWEIGHT RED DOT (NOT RED CIRCLE) CUE BALL

Discuss game situations with other EPT members. A very cool pool diagramming tool (CueTable) is included to help visually illustrate table layouts. Check it out!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Rule 1: Posts must be in English or have an English translation.
Rule 2: No spamming, trolling, flaming or use of foul, defamatory or abusive language.
Rule 3: Any posts that encourage illegal intent will be removed and the account disabled immediately.
Rule 4: No advertising of any sort. You may advertise in the Advertising forum only.

The moderators reserve the right to edit, delete, or prune any and all Messages which, in our opinion, violates any of the rules as stated above. Offenders will be warned and may be banned for non-compliance.

PLAYING WITH OVERWEIGHT RED DOT (NOT RED CIRCLE) CUE BALL

Postby Practice8 on Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:59 pm

I'm going to play in a bar box tournament this week that is going to use these cb's. I shot with one a little, the other day. And I borrowed one to practice with. Any & all suggestions would be appreciated.
Practice8
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

Postby jldnno on Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:58 pm

When playing with the heavy red dot cue ball you need to be especially aware of the rebound angle of the cue ball off the object ball. Where as the normal rebound angle using high with a medium storke with a normal cue ball is around 30 degrees the rebound angle for the heavy cue ball is between 20 to 25 degees. Draw with the heavy cue ball is harder to accomplish as well. You actually have to have a smoother softer stroke to draw the ball. It also help if you elevate your cue to about 25 degrees when drawing with the heavy ball.

When I have to play with the heavy ball I try to set my shape up so I can use stun or follow to set up shape for the next ball. Stay away from draw as much as you can. If you are playing 8 ball you need to be careful when using the side break as it is very easy to scratch. I typically use a straight on break from the middle of the table when breaking with the heavy ball. You can make the 8 with the head on break with the heavy ball just about as easy as you can make the 8 using the side break with the normal weight cue ball. Last bit of advice is to be careful with your touch as the heavy ball tends to roll farther than a light ball as it retains more energy after contact because of the extra weight.

One other thing is that soft spin doesn't work near as well with the heavy cue ball.
jldnno
EPT Writer
EPT Writer

Postby 240sxer on Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:19 am

do you have pictures of said ball?
240sxer
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

Re: PLAYING WITH OVERWEIGHT RED DOT (NOT RED CIRCLE) CUE BALL

Postby mannyc on Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:04 pm

Yes, a picture or an exact weight might give us a hint...
mannyc
Forum Amateur
Forum Amateur

Postby badandy on Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:37 pm

anytime you are using a heavier cb then you are used to you have to use a looser grip with better follow through to get the same amount of draw. cleaning the ball will help as well.
badandy
Moderator/EPT Writer
Moderator/EPT Writer

Postby caloixv2 on Mon May 25, 2009 5:28 am

heavier ball means heavier movement, heavier bounce etc.. if you're used in playing with normal CB you have to exert a few extra force on the heavier ones just enough to get your desired positioning but not too much coz you'll always go long on that. try to practice a couple of racks before any tournaments. it'll just take a few hours, even minutes and you'll get used to it.
caloixv2
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby buchoy on Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:45 am

heavy CB's are good in follow shots but difficult in draw shots.
buchoy
Forum Amateur
Forum Amateur

Return to How would you play this?