Winning shot - what did I do?

Discuss game situations with other EPT members. A very cool pool diagramming tool (CueTable) is included to help visually illustrate table layouts. Check it out!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Rule 1: Posts must be in English or have an English translation.
Rule 2: No spamming, trolling, flaming or use of foul, defamatory or abusive language.
Rule 3: Any posts that encourage illegal intent will be removed and the account disabled immediately.
Rule 4: No advertising of any sort. You may advertise in the Advertising forum only.

The moderators reserve the right to edit, delete, or prune any and all Messages which, in our opinion, violates any of the rules as stated above. Offenders will be warned and may be banned for non-compliance.

Winning shot - what did I do?

Postby Drifter1 on Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:11 pm

Good morning (or evening!)

During my match on Tuesday night, I was faced with a couple of difficult shots but ended up making both to win my match. Here's the first setup. Let's see if you can see what I did:

I'm shooting stripes. The 8-ball is blocking the pocket, so the 9 wouldn't go there. I found a shot, made it, and ended up in a great position for the win.

Here's the second situation:

I'm shooting on the 8-ball. It is kissing up against the 6 and doesn't have a clear path to the corner pocket. I called the shot and it went clean for the win. Let's see if you can see what I shot.

In both situations, the shot I called went, fortunately. I knew I had a chance at both, but there wasn't anything guaranteed about them.
Drifter1
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

Postby vicdotcom on Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:27 pm

Hmmm ok ill take a shot at this. For the top shot I am guessing that you did a 2 rail bank into the top right corner.

For the bottom shot I would guess the same type of 2 rail bank into the top side pocket.

Vic :)
vicdotcom
Forum Crusader
Forum Crusader

Postby Drifter1 on Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:44 pm

Excellent! With one minor correction. On the first, I saw the angle between the 9 and 10 and thought to deflect the cue off of the 9 into the 10 and sink it in the upper corner pocket. I used low right English on the shot and it worked like a charm, 10 in the corner. The 9 did the double bank into the upper right corner pocket and the cue ended up for a straight in on the 8-ball, a few inches in front of the 5. There were about 20 people watching and there was quite the "OOH!" from the crowd, even from my opponent who high-fived me.

The second shot was exactly that, two bank into the side, a very nice finish to a run for the win of the game and match. There were a few people watching that one too who didn't really see what I was going to do until I called the pocket. It was a great way to finish the match.
Drifter1
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

Postby vicdotcom on Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:24 pm

Nice shooting. Nothing like making a great shot :) I actually forgot that the 9 was a strped ball there for a second on the top table lol For some reason I had a brain fart and was only looking at the 10 haha

Now when you kissed off the 9 ball did the cue go rail first into the 10? or did it kiss right from the 9 to the 10? From the picture there it looks like a pretty tight angle to billiard into the 10 and pocket.

But now that I look at the top shot again with the 9 and 10 in play. Did you think about shooting a safe? a slow shot hitting the left side of the 10 would have left the cue right behind the 9 blocking off any shot from the opponent possibly giving you bih.

Nice shooting :)

Vic
vicdotcom
Forum Crusader
Forum Crusader

Postby Drifter1 on Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:04 am

Honestly, Vic, I didn't think about a safety because I've shot a fair amout of deflection shots to have a "feel" for it. And, I'm a rather aggressive player mostly and usually prefer to "go for it" if I think I have a fair chance to make the shot. The cue deflected from the 9 directly into the 10 and in the corner, clean, and that was what I was shooting for. The 9 going two banks into the other corner was a coincidence (or accident) because I wasn't even looking at the angle on it. But, it just went in nice and clean and left me straight on the 8. I couldn't have played it better if I tried.
Drifter1
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

Return to How would you play this?