Having trouble with shot making and positional play . help?

Discuss game situations with other EPT members. A very cool pool diagramming tool (CueTable) is included to help visually illustrate table layouts. Check it out!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Rule 1: Posts must be in English or have an English translation.
Rule 2: No spamming, trolling, flaming or use of foul, defamatory or abusive language.
Rule 3: Any posts that encourage illegal intent will be removed and the account disabled immediately.
Rule 4: No advertising of any sort. You may advertise in the Advertising forum only.

The moderators reserve the right to edit, delete, or prune any and all Messages which, in our opinion, violates any of the rules as stated above. Offenders will be warned and may be banned for non-compliance.

Having trouble with shot making and positional play . help?

Postby 240sxer on Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:14 am

i find myself missing a few shots pretty offten lately, anyone have suggestions i can think about while trying to make them? seems as tho the combination of my new arm and my new cue has left my game weak :(

positional tips are also welcomed.

first one would be things of this nature. I can't seem to pocket them often enough!

this rail shots have been killing me lately too and if i make it, i dont gain position on the next ball.

or even something like this, after the break i am left with something like this. what is the easiest way down to the next ball?

i've been extremely inconsistant lately. :(

time for more pracitce tomorrow.
240sxer
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

Postby vicdotcom on Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:43 pm

Well here are my opinions on these shots.

THe first table: This is tough one because the 2 is on the opposite rail. But not only that but the 1 is not an easy cut and the possiblity of a scratch is there. My personal opinion on this shot is to play a saftey. Bank the one back down rail near the 2 ball. Hopefully laying it right on the rail. Leave the cue near the top rail.

If you are against shooping safteys then the other option is to put high english on the cue ball and cut the 1 in. That will prevent a scratch hopefully and send the cue off the rail and back down for the 2. Saftey is best option here though I think.

The one can also be made on a bank down table, but that wont leave you with that good position on the 2.

The second table: My vote is bottom english all the way with a medium firm hit. Aim for getting the cue basically back where it is now. If your not making the 1 ball here it just takes practice time. No real trick for making this shot except for practice.

Third table: My vote is to pocket the 1 with top english and come 3 rails off to get in shape for the 2 into the bottom left pocket. I dont think theres any other option here for this shot. Well theoretically you can try to bank the 1 into the bottom right corner. That may get you shape on the 2. but thats a tough, low percentage shot. But theoretically possible. Top english still your best bet. Speed control is what your looking for here.

Vic
vicdotcom
Forum Crusader
Forum Crusader

Postby mechmat on Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:25 pm

First table: A touch or left hand english will help get the cue ball around the corner to the top of the table. But as vic said, a safety is probably best, although if you play a good safety you're opponent will more than likely play a safety back if you're playing 9 ball, and you'll end up having to either make a different tough shot or continue to safety back and forth. So basically, top left or safety.

Second: Adding some right hand english will help get the cue ball back where it's at. It takes a lot of draw to get back there without english, which most people can not pull off.

Third table: My favorite shot in this situation is to play the cue ball slightly low with kind of a stun shot. You are trying to come off the right hand rail about halfway between the first and second diamond from the top and come back down to cut in the 2. It's not easy, and mostly a speed shot, but for me it's easier to judge speed and the path of the cue ball than going 3 rails around.

I know I suggested a lot of english, which many people are not comfortable with. But english is mainly used to get out of difficult situations, which is exactly what you've got here.

mechmat
Forum Catechist
Forum Catechist

Postby vicdotcom on Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:06 pm

Second: Adding some right hand english will help get the cue ball back where it's at. It takes a lot of draw to get back there without english, which most people can not pull off.

Yea I agree adding english will certainly help it get off the rail easier. But wouldnt right english on the second shot send the cue more towards the 3 and 4 ball instead of towards the 2 ball? Unless im backwards again. Sometimes looking at these 2D tables confuses me lol

Vic
vicdotcom
Forum Crusader
Forum Crusader

Postby badandy on Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:12 pm

#1 if you are going to make the shot and not play safe. the above would be my suggestion. by looking at the hit it does not look like a scratch, it should wrap around the pocket and come back for position.

#2 low left will bring the cb back but it depends on if on the rail or slightly off the rail on how far it comes back.

#3 high right should bring cb back around the table.

as far as how to make the shot, that takes practice, especiaily the rail shot with low left. it takes a smooth stroke without twisting the cue to make it consistenly. i am fairly consistant unless my game is off. the spot shot is just anoying but can be made with practice as well.
badandy
Moderator/EPT Writer
Moderator/EPT Writer

Postby mechmat on Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:18 pm

vicdotcom wrote:

Yea I agree adding english will certainly help it get off the rail easier. But wouldnt right english on the second shot send the cue more towards the 3 and 4 ball instead of towards the 2 ball? Unless im backwards again. Sometimes looking at these 2D tables confuses me lol

Vic

My bad. I meant left and typed right :P
mechmat
Forum Catechist
Forum Catechist

Postby 240sxer on Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:02 am

so left english would bring it back down table and right engish would bring it mid/up table?
240sxer
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

Postby vicdotcom on Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:00 pm

240sxer wrote:so left english would bring it back down table and right engish would bring it mid/up table?

Yea in that shot, left englsh will give bring you towards position for the 2 ball. Right will send it up table.

Ill post up how I learned english in a litle while with diagrams. It really helped me learn and remember.

Vic
vicdotcom
Forum Crusader
Forum Crusader

Postby vicdotcom on Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:03 pm

Ok all done with the diagrams! I put it in a new topic under the "playing pool, billiards and snooker" heading though because it fit there better. But take a look. This is how I learned what english to use to get good positioning.

Heres a link.

http://www.easypooltutor.com/modules.ph ... 961#126961

Vic
vicdotcom
Forum Crusader
Forum Crusader

Return to How would you play this?