Sharing what my shot - using pocket points

Discuss game situations with other EPT members. A very cool pool diagramming tool (CueTable) is included to help visually illustrate table layouts. Check it out!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Rule 1: Posts must be in English or have an English translation.
Rule 2: No spamming, trolling, flaming or use of foul, defamatory or abusive language.
Rule 3: Any posts that encourage illegal intent will be removed and the account disabled immediately.
Rule 4: No advertising of any sort. You may advertise in the Advertising forum only.

The moderators reserve the right to edit, delete, or prune any and all Messages which, in our opinion, violates any of the rules as stated above. Offenders will be warned and may be banned for non-compliance.

Sharing what my shot - using pocket points

Postby akuma on Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:53 pm

Hi All,

I have been out of heavy pool playing for months now and yesterday, I decided to get my hands in the pool table again after watching a copy of the Colour of Money and feeling inspired. Anyway, while practicing, I came across this situation:

What I did afterwards though was something I couldn't believe I pulled off. Banking on the lower rail was harder for me because of the presence of the 5 and the 8. Banking from the upper rail was also a problem because of the 6. I decided to use one of the points in the upper right corner pocket to come back to the 4 to hopefully get a good shot. To my surprise, not only did I get a good shot, I got it in as well.

For those familiar, would using the pocket points bring in consistent results? Is it a skill worth understanding or should it be left to novelty?
It's a pity! You don't even know your own strength.
- Akuma, Street Fighter 3: Second Strike
akuma
EPT PHI Player
EPT PHI Player

Postby badandy on Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:11 pm

i practiced it for a while and find it to me a novilty unless the ball set up makes it very easy. each time you change tables the point changes considerably since the point is such a small target and the point is not consistent between tables.

with the current setup i the diagram it looks like you can do the same thing with high left english and bypass the points. this is much more consistent.
badandy
Moderator/EPT Writer
Moderator/EPT Writer

Return to How would you play this?