a moral conflict

Discuss game situations with other EPT members. A very cool pool diagramming tool (CueTable) is included to help visually illustrate table layouts. Check it out!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Rule 1: Posts must be in English or have an English translation.
Rule 2: No spamming, trolling, flaming or use of foul, defamatory or abusive language.
Rule 3: Any posts that encourage illegal intent will be removed and the account disabled immediately.
Rule 4: No advertising of any sort. You may advertise in the Advertising forum only.

The moderators reserve the right to edit, delete, or prune any and all Messages which, in our opinion, violates any of the rules as stated above. Offenders will be warned and may be banned for non-compliance.

a moral conflict

Postby Poolru on Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:17 pm

My friend and i enjoy shooting pool against eachother, and we have always played with a little bit of money on the line, but we were basically of the same skill level and would break even on most nights. Recently however, I have grown much more interested in the game and have read/practiced much more and as a result gotten much better. I have been able to walk away from the table with significant winnings during our last three sessions, but at the same time, I feel like a lousy friend. Due to the arrogance of my friend, he continues to want to play me, and continues to lose so what do i do?

The simple solution would be to just not play for money anymore, but for you gamblers out there where is the fun in that?

Any ideas on what we can do to still bet on the games but to reduce the potential losings? Thanks!
Poolru
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby Masayoshi on Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:34 am

find an even weaker friend and play a ring game :twisted: j/k.

offer him weight or just beat him til he wises up.
Masayoshi
Forum Thinker
Forum Thinker

Postby NZpoolplayer on Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:06 pm

That's a tough one since you started playing for money, that became a very bad habit to break. You become used to playing with money on line.

My suggestion would be is to talk to your friend and once and for all tell him that you are not into it already. :mrgreen:
NZpoolplayer
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

Postby JJFSTAR on Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:15 pm

I agree with Masayoshi's thinking on this one. Beat him up until he wises up. I am just speculating but you are probably just playing single games or short races of 8 or 9 ball and betting on each one. This gives the weaker player a sense that they can win. I would recommend that you either play longer games such as 14.1, one pocket or 15 ball bank pool. Or play races to 7 or 9 games and betting on the outcome of the race. The thing that is keeping him betting is that sometimes he probably sees some of your money, if you make it one way pay he will give up or he will take weight from you and that will do you both a lot of good.
JJFSTAR
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

Postby Poolru on Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:49 pm

This is good input JJ. I was thinking about suggesting to him that we play a race next time, but I was going to suggest that the outcome of the race determines the winnings.

For example, if I won the race 11-2, I would win more than if I won the race 11-8. That way it will keep it exciting the whole way through.
Poolru
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Return to How would you play this?