The more i play, the more i scratch!

Discuss game situations with other EPT members. A very cool pool diagramming tool (CueTable) is included to help visually illustrate table layouts. Check it out!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Rule 1: Posts must be in English or have an English translation.
Rule 2: No spamming, trolling, flaming or use of foul, defamatory or abusive language.
Rule 3: Any posts that encourage illegal intent will be removed and the account disabled immediately.
Rule 4: No advertising of any sort. You may advertise in the Advertising forum only.

The moderators reserve the right to edit, delete, or prune any and all Messages which, in our opinion, violates any of the rules as stated above. Offenders will be warned and may be banned for non-compliance.

Re: The more i play, the more i scratch!

Postby dmick on Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:33 am

That's okay dude, everyone that play billiards experience that so called "Unluckiness" Lol. In my opinion it's only superstition, what you need to do is to have confidence in your shots. Also, you can practice the shots that usually scratch. Goodluck!
dmick
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby monsieurx on Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:30 am

i already said never to trust in luck, she still works for Murphy!

Vision of the shot is truely what i was missing. Also i was hitting too hard or the spin would work the wrong way... im happy to report i dont scratch at all anymore! Analysing the problem, it came down to one thing!

Speed... Now i can go back to working on my consistency and the art of placement...

Since i play intuitively, planning is not always an option but i've adjusted it by trying to scratch until i could... Then all of a sudden i stopped scratching!!!

To learn how to stop scratching, place the ball you usually scratch with and put a ball close to the pocket where you scratch. Try to pot the two balls. You'll see it's a very handy shot to know!

Thanks to all!
monsieurx
Forum Amateur
Forum Amateur

Postby monsieurx on Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:20 pm

A couple months after lots of training, I found out what the problem was:
- lack of foresight - what the white will do
- speed - making sure the white stops in time if there's a pocket in the way
- and last but not least, spin on the cue ball.
- some might consider luck as a factor and that's true - sometimes you can't foresee enough in advance to know what will happen.

To get out of the scratch syndrome there were three things that helped:
- planning better. Including foreseeing the white's trajectory and possible obstacles
- trying to learn how to carom or kiss a ball to pocket the white or pocket a ball near the pocket.
- After I would scratch, i would retry the shot with different spins and speeds until i got the white where i wanted.

Back to the point where you try to pocket the white: This is tricky and usualyl against your natural instinct. But, in 9 or 10 ball, and rotation this is a key shot to learn. You shoot your ball but send the white to push a ball in a pocket or against a bank (protection). This takes lots of practice and is not a shot that comes often. So practicing this shot will probably be the best way to learn not to scratch. Since you know how to send the white to the pocket, you also know how to avoid it.

Which is where the spin comes in. As you may know, some shots go in easier when you give in or out pocket spin. Well, this is the same thing except it's the cue ball that is in question. Remember how the white reacts and use draw or top spin to send the white more in or out the pocket's direction. If you are close, use in or out side spin to make the white bounce off the pocket.

Although this a really frustrating problem, i really learned a lot from it. Not just how to avoid scratching but also how to make those indirect shots. So try to make the best of a bad situation...

Thanks again for everyone's help...
monsieurx
Forum Amateur
Forum Amateur

Postby el_kapitan on Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:43 am

If you know how to prepare or play positions, i dont see a problem on how to remedy your scratching problem. Its just like knowing where to position the ball to avoid scratching. But sometimes, its the break of the game.
el_kapitan
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby monsieurx on Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:34 am

I agree but there's always an alternative shot also... If your angle is scratch-possible, you could do a bank or safety to avoid the problem...
monsieurx
Forum Amateur
Forum Amateur

Postby caloixv2 on Mon May 25, 2009 5:57 am

wanna make it fun? when that happens to me, which i assure you happens to everyone else also, i still play and still practice but with a twist.. i only use few balls, 3 or 4 is good enough. this is how you do it. try to pot the balls non respectively and try to force a scratch. it's like reverse psychology. you want your CB to scratch but it wont. i do this to relax myself so that i could get the scratch issue out of my head. you know! just laugh it out..
caloixv2
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby darrenmercier on Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:57 pm

monsieurx wrote:It's been years im playing and i've never scratched so much. No english, middle, lots of english, no matter what i do, i systematically put the white in the pocket 2-3 times in a game!!!

No matter how i try not to worry about it, or how i try to prevent it, the white goes in the pocket as soon as there is a chance!

oh yes, when i dont scratch, i always give the game on a blunder at the last ball, or i never ever can get a position on my last ball.

And when that doesn't happen, i sink the 8.

i just must be the unluckiest player. This happens the same in tournaments, games against good players but never when i play a beginner. Snooker tables do not prevent this btw, which makes me think it is really subconscious or bad luck. problem is i dont believe in luck...

Any help welcome...

I believe the problem may be more mental than physical. I may be a newbie on the pool scene, but I am a veteran in issues of the mind. After re-reading your post several times, you have convinced me that you will scratch, "NO MATTER how (you) try, ALWAYS give the game on a blunder", "NEVER get a position on the last ball" & you "MUST be the unluckiest player". If you really feel this way, you will encourage it to happen. :shock: A negative mindset can be your worst enemy. :cry: If you know anything about billiards, you must acknowledge that the shots are not impossible. Start believing in yourself and you will begin to see the shots more clearly. Alternative shots sometimes reduce your risk of scratching, but you have to be confident in your abilities to take a shot that may be more difficult. Practice, practice, practice!!! :wink:
darrenmercier
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby arisalmario on Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:24 pm

"sabi ko na nga ba" these are the words that i utter everytime i scratch. Weird thing is, we always have this premonition that tells us that the possibility of a scratch is present. And yet, we still scratch. I maybe because we don't consider that instinctively, our mind is reacting on how the balls are positioned, how your cue ball would be struck and how it is to run on the cloth.

For me, the best way is to be conscious of all the possibilities that may happen as you execute your shot. It does take time to think of that but it surely would pay off. The genius players are those whose instincts are at a level alienous to ours. Its just like driving a vehicle. YOur good at driving even though you dont thinks much about how to drive. Thats the driving instinct. Develop the pool instinct and surely youll improve with your shots avoiding scratches.
arisalmario
Forum Amateur
Forum Amateur

Previous

Return to How would you play this?