you're on the 8ball

Discuss game situations with other EPT members. A very cool pool diagramming tool (CueTable) is included to help visually illustrate table layouts. Check it out!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Rule 1: Posts must be in English or have an English translation.
Rule 2: No spamming, trolling, flaming or use of foul, defamatory or abusive language.
Rule 3: Any posts that encourage illegal intent will be removed and the account disabled immediately.
Rule 4: No advertising of any sort. You may advertise in the Advertising forum only.

The moderators reserve the right to edit, delete, or prune any and all Messages which, in our opinion, violates any of the rules as stated above. Offenders will be warned and may be banned for non-compliance.

you're on the 8ball

Postby AdamP on Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:51 pm

I was playing in an 8ball tournament couple days ago and was in this situation so I just hit his 2 ball to give him ball-in-hand, he played a safe and left the cue ball where i could see enough of the 8 to kick off the side rail and tap it in but i hit it to hard and the cue ball hit the 3 and followed the 8 in.

And I was wondering what you guys would do.

AdamP
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Re: you're on the 8ball

Postby mannyc on Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:32 pm

Use the rail on the right side... then make a kick shot...
mannyc
Forum Amateur
Forum Amateur

Postby AdamP on Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:57 pm

i was thinking about trying that but i was worried about hitting his ball first
AdamP
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby Driftmaster on Sun May 17, 2009 3:06 am

Give him ball-in-hand. He'll obviously make the 2 ball and try to play for shape on the 3. But, where does he hit it? If he can't sink it without sinking the 8 ball first, he loses. If he hits the 3 and doesn't sink the 8 ball, he's probably opened it up for a direct pocket-shot for you. I can't even see a possibility of him just touching the 3 ball and not giving you a clear shot on the 8. Sometimes, the best offense is a good defense. He's the one that's hooked after he makes the 2 ball. If he doesn't hit his 3 ball, then you have ball-in-hand and the game.

Better yet, guarantee yourself the win, like this:

Use a slow ball hit here, just enough to put the 2 ball on the rail and let the cue just follow for an easy shot. He's got ball-in-hand, but now his shot just became harder. There's still no way for him to get any kind of shape on the 3 ball to pocket it without first pocketing the 8 ball and the 3 must go in first.
Driftmaster
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby caloixv2 on Mon May 25, 2009 4:32 am

i'll try long rail on the right kick shot with enough speed coz if you'd hit this hard and u fluked the 8 ball there's a chance of a scratch. another option is to try make his other ball. if you got the other ball it'll be a bad shot and he is forced to take the shot on the 3 ball
caloixv2
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby PoolPioneer on Sun May 31, 2009 4:15 pm

i would just foul, then give him ball in hand. then if i was him i wouldn't bother pocketing the two, that would be a foolish play. if i was ur opponent i would put the cue ball directly to the right of the 2 and hit it straight down the table with lots of follow to put the cue ball right next to the three again, softly enuff to leave the 2 down there as well. then ur in the same position, and u can choose to kick or foul again. if u foul again the opponent can simply tap the 2 again and leave the CB in the same spot, and u have the same decision again. because there is no foul rule in 8 ball, this would continue until you decide to try to kick or the players agree on a stalemate and rebreak.
PoolPioneer
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ice_queen on Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:26 pm

I'd eventually work my way to leaving the 2 ball in the pocket, leaving him no chance of missing the 2 ball on purpose even with ball in hand
ice_queen
Forum Amateur
Forum Amateur

Return to How would you play this?