8 ball safety

Discuss game situations with other EPT members. A very cool pool diagramming tool (CueTable) is included to help visually illustrate table layouts. Check it out!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Rule 1: Posts must be in English or have an English translation.
Rule 2: No spamming, trolling, flaming or use of foul, defamatory or abusive language.
Rule 3: Any posts that encourage illegal intent will be removed and the account disabled immediately.
Rule 4: No advertising of any sort. You may advertise in the Advertising forum only.

The moderators reserve the right to edit, delete, or prune any and all Messages which, in our opinion, violates any of the rules as stated above. Offenders will be warned and may be banned for non-compliance.

8 ball safety

Postby LarryTweak on Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:37 am

Heres the situation:

Tim, strips, sank all his balls. I played this safety on him. The 5 is frozen to the 8, which is just barely on the edge. There is not enough room to slip the cueball in on either side of the 5. Its tim's shot. How do you play this?
LarryTweak
Forum Thinker
Forum Thinker

Postby Endymion on Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:22 am

If there's a 3 foul rule, then Tim (stripes) is in really bad shape. He should foul out first. If not, it'll probably be a stalemate.

Tim attempts to pot 1 of the 2 solids on the table. If he succeeds, you get ball in hand and do...nothing? If the 8 is as close to falling as you paint it, then it's probably too risky to attempt anything involving the 8 or the 5. I certainly wouldn't want to try a one or two rail bank on the 5 which would leave the 8 in the jaws.

There may be some kind of trickshot that could turn this situation around, but I'd probably have to see the actual table/setup. Still probably not worth the risk.
Endymion
Forum Amateur
Forum Amateur

Postby LarryTweak on Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:09 am

A couple of guys set up other tables and tried jumping it but none of them hit it without the cue ball dropping off the table. I thought about the foul out- but no-one has ever done it- i didn't know the rules on it. He did concede game- maybe he knew something I didn't about the rules.
LarryTweak
Forum Thinker
Forum Thinker

Postby mechmat on Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:06 pm

There is no 3 foul rule in 8 ball.

This is a classic stalemate situation. He should just give up ball in hand every shot. You should pocket one of your balls, and just hit the other one around. After 3 turns of no progress, agree to a stalemate. There is no way for him to pocket the 8 without fouling, and there is no way for you to pocket the 5 without pocketing the 8. Since neither of you can win without a stupid move by the other player, he should not have conceded. Rereack and play the game over.
mechmat
Forum Catechist
Forum Catechist

Postby betkalugin on Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:23 am

I agree with mechmat no winner nor loser in that rack
betkalugin
EPT PHI Player
EPT PHI Player

Postby UNKNOWN on Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:48 am

stalemate, but i would sink you 6 than 7 and hope you try something gutsy yet foolish with the 5. or move your 7 as close as possible to the 5-8 and than try to sink your 6
UNKNOWN
Forum Crusader
Forum Crusader

Postby TheConArtist on Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:13 pm

man that is some bad situation right Thur. Some bad JuJu or something :mrgreen:
TheConArtist
Forum Catechist
Forum Catechist

Postby Apoc12 on Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:32 pm

like i said i am crazy I would do anything just to see what it would do lol no yea i think thats why i am not good at playing this game lol
Apoc12
Forum Amateur
Forum Amateur

Postby double_d on Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:09 am

in australia there is a foul snooker rule
if you are snookere from a foul stroke
you can nominate any ball and there fore it is yours for that single shot
so in australia tim would have kept fouling till you had to play at your 5 ball
if you fouled then tim could nominate foul snooker
then nominate your 5 ball and use it to sink the 8
rarely do we get a stalemate in australia
only happens if there was 1 of each spots or stripes ( bigs or littles ) there behind the black
and no one wanted to shoot at them incase they pocketed the black

daniel d
double_d
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby GregMc on Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:21 pm

Stalemate!
GregMc
Forum Thinker
Forum Thinker

Postby traut on Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:56 pm

I have had this situation, was on the solids.

I had a small change that I could clear the table with really good shot. But after a while. We came to stalemate. So stalemate here!!!
Back In Finland
traut
Forum Crusader
Forum Crusader

Postby jldnno on Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:36 am

A possible solution for Tim is to shoot in his opponents balls until his opponent only has the 5 left. When his opponent finally gives him ball in hand with the 5 left Tim places the cue ball on the rail between the ? and the X then bumps the bumps the 5 ball to freeze on the tit on the the opposite side of the same pocket as the 8. His opponent will not be able to play a safe without leaving the 8 open to a shot or open to a kick shot. About the only thing Tim's opponent can do is try to play safeties to keep him from making the 6 and 7 if he realizes what Tim is up to.
jldnno
EPT Writer
EPT Writer

Postby jldnno on Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:53 pm

A possible solution for Tim is to shoot in his opponents balls until his opponent only has the 5 left. When his opponent finally gives him ball in hand with the 5 left Tim places the cue ball on the rail between the ? and the X then bumps the bumps the 5 ball to freeze on the tit on the the opposite side of the same pocket as the 8. His opponent will not be able to play a safe without leaving the 8 open to a shot or open to a kick shot. About the only thing Tim's opponent can do is try to play safeties to keep him from making the 6 and 7 if he realizes what Tim is up to.

Added Diagrams to go with the above post. In the first diagram Tim has eliminated his opponents balls, received ball in hand and places the cue ball as shown. Second diagram shows where 5 ball ends up after the shot which gives cue ball in hand to opponent. Even with ball in hand it would be very difficult to block Tim from a shot or kick on the eight as his opponent has to send either the cue ball or the 5 ball to another rail after the cue ball contacts the 5.

jldnno
EPT Writer
EPT Writer

Postby Sloppy_9s on Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:10 am

This last solution is the best. If the player on the eight (Tim) just uses his turns to try and hit all the opponent's (your) balls in until the five then hopefully his opponent will do one of two things: sink the 8 ball in--loosing, or give Tim a shot on the 8, giving him the game.

IMHO Tim has the game, providing there's no 3 foul rule, which there wouldn't be because that's a 9 ball rule that's recently become defunct.
Sloppy_9s
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby KobyP on Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:17 pm

Sloppy_9s wrote:This last solution is the best. If the player on the eight (Tim) just uses his turns to try and hit all the opponent's (your) balls in until the five then hopefully his opponent will do one of two things: sink the 8 ball in--loosing, or give Tim a shot on the 8, giving him the game.

IMHO Tim has the game, providing there's no 3 foul rule, which there wouldn't be because that's a 9 ball rule that's recently become defunct.

I agree, just make all of the opponent's balls and force him to make a legal hit on the 5. Which will most likely make the 8 or at least break the 5 out of the way.
KobyP
Forum Amateur
Forum Amateur

Return to How would you play this?