How do you pick yourself up

Discuss game situations with other EPT members. A very cool pool diagramming tool (CueTable) is included to help visually illustrate table layouts. Check it out!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Rule 1: Posts must be in English or have an English translation.
Rule 2: No spamming, trolling, flaming or use of foul, defamatory or abusive language.
Rule 3: Any posts that encourage illegal intent will be removed and the account disabled immediately.
Rule 4: No advertising of any sort. You may advertise in the Advertising forum only.

The moderators reserve the right to edit, delete, or prune any and all Messages which, in our opinion, violates any of the rules as stated above. Offenders will be warned and may be banned for non-compliance.

How do you pick yourself up

Postby mean_cue on Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:41 pm

I play in a league, and after a bad shooting night I'm now in a funk, can't even shoot straight-in shots anymore, I'm in a slump, and no confidence. How do you pick yourself up and gain back the confidence before the bad night?
mean_cue
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby mechmat on Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:50 pm

Obviously the first thing you have to do is put the bad night out of your head. If every time you bend over a shot you're thinking "I suck" you're never going to make anything.

When I'm missing shots, I like to play through a few racks of straight pool. It really gets me into a shot making mode, and I don't have to worry so much about position. Once I feel like I'm making balls again, I might run through a couple of drills to get my position play tuned up.

When you get back to league, make sure you have a good attitude, and maintain it throughout the night. Even if you miss a couple of easy shots, you have to believe you can win and realize that you're not out of it until the last ball drops.

Anod don't forget to have fun. It's a game, and a it seems like a lot of people have a dropoff in their game if they start to take it too seriously.
mechmat
Forum Catechist
Forum Catechist

Postby GregMc on Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:03 pm

I agree with mechmat don't dwell on it everyone has bad times at the table just watch some of the pro's play they too have slumps. When I have bad rolls or I'm not making my shots I go back to the basics stance and stroke, I like to get by myself and set up a few easy shots and focus on my mechanics. Try and keep a positive attitude tell yourself you will use good solid basics and make good decisions and practice pratice pratice.
GregMc
Forum Thinker
Forum Thinker

Postby wan_lep on Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:31 am

well,for me i like to take one to two days off the table. And when i come back to table i am able to start a fresh without thinking about those missed shots.
wan_lep
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby badandy on Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:51 pm

temp change something. change from closed to open bridge or vs virsa. change stance or grip. one thing i do when my aim goes off and does not want to come back is i stop looking at the cb. not even one time, just get down, prestroke, shoot without ever looking at the cbl. do a few racks like that, it helps to build confidence and aim.
badandy
Moderator/EPT Writer
Moderator/EPT Writer

Postby TheConArtist on Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:11 pm

i agree here again with the 14.1 or even just set up some simple drills to execute. A game of 14.1 can help as you don't have to really worry about shooting a certain group of balls, just start plucking off those ducks. You must always forget your mistakes the second after they happen, as if you can't let them go the next mistake will only make it worse. Its what makes a great Champion, not to beat yourself up but learn from it. And never start thinking things that something is wrong with your stroke, i know a few players that start to say there stroke ain't working and try to go over everything from the very start. I like to take it as a day thats just that it wasn't my day. Take Mike for an example at the KOTH vs. Efren Reyes. The first match always states the presence of the rest of the match. He missed a easy shot due to pressure or maybe even the conditions of the table who knows. But it didn't let it go, he kept saying i can't make two in a roll and clearly showed that he didn't forget that he missed, never be affriad to miss a ball, you can be affraid to make a bad stroke but not to miss a ball.
TheConArtist
Forum Catechist
Forum Catechist

Postby vucemz on Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:28 am

Since i was quite good archer before started playing pool i had been told quite some good tehniques on this matter... The one which worked the most for me is whenever you think you cant play as good as you'd wish, close your eyes, take a few deep breaths, try to remember some good shot in details, "replay" it in your head, and when you're nicely calmed down and focused get back to the table.
vucemz
Forum Amateur
Forum Amateur

Postby erikido on Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:17 am

I agree letting go is one of the main things. Can't let bad shots stay with you long. there is one of the philipino guys that plays in my room that is amazing at this. One day he missed a real easy duck. He looks at me and says ***** that ***** barego in that great accent takes a drink of beer and is then over with it. Amazing, 1/2 a second of pain with that guy then he forgets. Although alcohol may have something to do with it lol.

Anyways, I also agree don't take the game to seriously. Remember winning is fun, but if you aren't having fun you are not going to win. One other "suggestion" I would add is let this fuel your fire. I played HORRIBlE in a tournament today. There were 28 innings in the whole match. I normally have about 10-15. BUt, I didn't let it get me down. I let it motivate me to do better and focus on every single shot. After the tournament I won 25 dollars in a 1-2 ring game and 2 10 dollar sets against a rather experienced player. Maybe it was because when I get frustrated with myself I actually tend to start shooting lights out. At any rate, when you are playing bad don't get yourself down, just let it motivate you to get even better than you were before your slump.
erikido
Forum Thinker
Forum Thinker

Postby mirdavanfe on Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:55 am

there is a nice article on the front page about focusing on the "click" of the CB.forget anything else,forget you are 5-1 in a race to 7,forget you will hand out 6000 pesos to the other guy,forget that you just missed a simplest cut.....

when you're in the state of mind you described,nothing else will work

(what others have said is ok for when you can walk away,but in a middle of a money game,the opponent might wanna break ur legs :lol: :lol: )
mirdavanfe
EPT PHI Player
EPT PHI Player

Postby vicdotcom on Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:52 pm

I go fishing and stop playing for a while. no practice, no leguae. no holding a cue. After about 2 weeks of fishing, I say.... man im really getting an itch to shoot pool. After that I shoot some of the best pool ever.

Vic
vicdotcom
Forum Crusader
Forum Crusader

Postby pooljunky on Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:24 pm

i agree with vic, only cause i love to fish!! lol but in all seriousness focus on basics again if you're havin a problem with confidence. just practice and leave what's behind you right there, behind you
pooljunky
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby monsieurx on Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:47 pm

I've been working on this coz im a catastrophy sometimes. When i train, the balls always go magically in... And when i play with the first opponent, i get 0-3 shots or worst three games lost first up each time. Each time! Im aware of the problem and all the solutions but absolutely nothing works.

Then all of a sudden, it's back... im in the "mood" again and and i run the balls in much to the surprise of my opponent. :)

Since i know of this problem, im ready for it! When i fail though, Im not hustling, im not too relaxed, just decontracted, Im not gripping, my stance is as usual, the eyes where they usually look, and then there's not a hard shot I haven't made and Im not overly confident of difficulties, so why do i miss even the easiest shots?

it's like at one moment, there's no problems with finding angles and deflection offsets and another moment when nothing seems to work - even without english.

Re-concentrating again on the game helps. Walking away and back helps. A shot of tequila sometimes... ;) The trick for me was to take my mind off the game and just shoot what was in front of me... Then back to normal. Will this work again?

There's 2 competitions coming so i hope the training and research to face this problem will help. Meanwhile, there's one thing that has helped me a lot which is practice. Nothing will help you more. Playing opponents will teach you pool playing but not shot making! That's why they have practice ranges in golf courses! Since i started practicing, my game went from a 8 maximum run to a 12-14 in a row...

Now the problem is finding enough time to practice and the right partners to play with - no challenge makes it hard to concentrate...

I practice 14-1 for shot making, 9 or 10 ball or rotation for position (depending on your level in that order. Rotation can be very frustrating but it also teaches you to forget about the last mistake - if you dont, you'll hate the game and never complete one set! Missing 5 times the same ball in a row is tough... But that's why rotation is great, it teaches you all the shots you could need...)

hope this helps you too...
monsieurx
Forum Amateur
Forum Amateur

Postby pooljunky on Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:46 pm

hey man, i think shooting what is in front of you is a big key, you can't think about "oh man i'm playin this guy, or i'm playin for this much." You just gotta play your game the best way you know how and the rest will fall in to place
PoolJunky
pooljunky
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby NZpoolplayer on Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:35 am

I dont believe in slump. There's no such thing. In fact I havent encounter it in my game. I may loose a game or two but never totally down.
NZpoolplayer
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

Postby badandy on Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:56 am

get 0-3 in a race to 4 in a match. :evil: that will get you thinking, makes you concentrate real hard and balls start dropping.
badandy
Moderator/EPT Writer
Moderator/EPT Writer

Next

Return to How would you play this?