How do you pick yourself up

Discuss game situations with other EPT members. A very cool pool diagramming tool (CueTable) is included to help visually illustrate table layouts. Check it out!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Rule 1: Posts must be in English or have an English translation.
Rule 2: No spamming, trolling, flaming or use of foul, defamatory or abusive language.
Rule 3: Any posts that encourage illegal intent will be removed and the account disabled immediately.
Rule 4: No advertising of any sort. You may advertise in the Advertising forum only.

The moderators reserve the right to edit, delete, or prune any and all Messages which, in our opinion, violates any of the rules as stated above. Offenders will be warned and may be banned for non-compliance.

Postby molongnezz on Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:09 am

be sure that you are not restless and be sure that you ate already your meal before the game. another important thing is you should on your mood playing biliards.
molongnezz
Forum Amateur
Forum Amateur

Postby molongnezz on Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:47 am

for me, i think the best way to bring back your confidence in playing billiards is to watch professional players playing. watch them how to take the shot and carry their posture and confidence while playing... in addition you have to take a break playing billiards like 3days or more, for you to have more interest playing pool. i hope you understand my point and follow my suggestions... thanks!
molongnezz
Forum Amateur
Forum Amateur

Postby PAPAROACH on Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:11 pm

I have read this article online about a state of mind pool masters usually call "in the Zone"... Think about nothing else but destroying each and every ball.... leave everything in space and focus on your attack...
PAPAROACH
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby NZpoolplayer on Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:09 pm

I once played a money game with a guy race to 5. He was ahead 1-4 but that didnt let me down. I stayed focused and concentrated more on the ball and not on my opponent. I won 5-4. My opponent was so disappointed! :mrgreen:
NZpoolplayer
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

Postby wilyam_13 on Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:03 pm

If I'm having a bad night what I usually do is to go safety rather than being agressive so that there's a chance for me to pocket easier shots, from there I pick up.
wilyam_13
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

Re: How do you pick yourself up

Postby mannyc on Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:02 pm

Always think that its your last game or shot, because your opponent is too much for you. :smile:
Or once you've missed a shot you will DIE... :goofy:
mannyc
Forum Amateur
Forum Amateur

Postby shark on Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:28 am

mean_cue wrote:I play in a league, and after a bad shooting night I'm now in a funk, can't even shoot straight-in shots anymore, I'm in a slump, and no confidence. How do you pick yourself up and gain back the confidence before the bad night?

Normally, I just took a rest may be a week or so.. no pool at all. Clear my mind and do something else..

and when I get back playing.. I get more focus and play better.
shark
EPT PHI Player
EPT PHI Player

Postby sputnik on Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:51 am

Long time no post!

When I read this topic, the first thing that ran through my mind was when I heard Efren tell Ronnie Alcano that he already had taught Ronnie almost all his shots, but he could not teach Ronnie how to win.

Some of you know that I probably play as often as I post here, last of which was last night when I had the pleasure of enjoying a short session. But I had my days of walking miles and miles around the table on a daily basis. And through those years, this is what I can share with you:

1] BELIEVE IN YOUR CAPACITY. Bad days come, and when you're in one, take it with a grain of salt. You know that deep in your heart you can do better. Losing is no big deal. Even Efren loses. Same with shot-making - everybody misses ridiculously. Just dig into your heart and feel that you really can do better than what you had just shown everybody, and do not let how much a fool you've made of yourself bother you.

2] USE YOUR HEAD. As I screw my shaft in, I know that I will have to deal with muscle memory loss. I know that my aim will be off. But what does not change is the way of thinking in pool, and if the other guy is in tip-top condition, at least make it a little harder for him. Many times, using your head with so-so execution can get you through. And in bad aiming days, this tool comes in handy.

3] CHALLENGE YOUR EXECUTION. When your turn comes up and you know what to do, the only problem is execution. Just do it the way it ought to be done! This will bring orgasm if you do it well. If anything goes wrong, it will give you time to analyze the adjustments that you have to apply. It may be aiming, it may be the way you release the stroke... it may be anything. Going back to basics in shot-making will have its turn in last balls or in simple shooting, but do not give in to mere pocketing the balls with only the basics in mind. Challenging your execution will make you enjoy your evening. What's nice about it is that as you play longer, you will feel that "zone" within reach... giving your wallet a fighting chance in remaining in your pocket.

4] ALWAYS BE NICE. Jerks may win games but they do get bothered when they reach home. But when jerks have bad nights, more often than not, they will not be able to recover that evening. Well, there are exceptions in the likes of Earl Strickland who are certified jerks feeding on negativity to pull up their game. If you are a normal dude and you maintain a nice attitude, you will have a better chance of recovering from your horrible game because your thinking will be with you.

5] DO NOT BET DURING YOUR BAD DAY. One match is enough to find out that you are having an off night. Quit. There will be many days when you can come back to get your money back. It is hard for one to recover from a bad game with wagering as your motivation. Again, it takes thinking out of your game tools, making it tough to recover.

6] TIMING. Ever see a lead runner lose steam just as an opponent catches up with him? It is human nature to give up when a strong challenge is beside your shoulder. Be that challenger. Wait for your shot to get better, and when the score evens up, it will be a good time to really challenge your execution with greater degrees of difficulty. Making fantastic shots in one single game can mean recovery from a bad night. But the timing of that single game with one or two fantastic shots is quite crucial. Even if you do not recover from your slump, it can bring the contest on even terms as the other guy may get into a slump too.
=======

That is what happened in my short fun last night. I dropped by very late and I goofed around in one ring game of 5 guys where madman Bandido beat me in a hill 6-6. I was aiming horribly but I kept challenging my execution even as I made a fool of myself in many attempts.

My second and final final match for the evening was a one-on-one friendly against one of the EPT guys. Because of how awful I was started off (0-2, race to 5), I was being made to use multiple rails in avoiding three fouls in the onset of his strategy. The guy was having fun in showing me how bad he could make me look with his leaves. I just patiently enjoyed my diamond system every time he hid that ball. In fact, one was a fantastic 2-rail precise end rail to side rail (avoiding the 9 thinly) and making a huge 7 by the other end rail. It was orgasmic and it definitely pulled me out of my rot.

Then my turn came up. 8 was bankable on the side and 9 was down near the end rail dot. I figured that I had to stop his hiding the balls because it was actually the reason why he was up. I nicely announced that it was my turn to play hide-and-seek, white 2 rails hididng behind the 9, with the 8 going 2 rails to the center of the end rail. It was perfect, and that put an end to his hide-and-seek strategy early in the match. I pushed up my game up while he slid down. The other guy was doing great with impressive shots. It was probably the timing of what we were doing that spelled the difference. Had he saved his hide-and-seek for sweet situations instead of "I'll get this guy to foul thrice" at the start, he would have easily zeroed me. At least I managed to push the score to maximum and I enjoyed having played a full decision race to 5.

Win or lose, those things make you really enjoy your game. After all, we all do play to enjoy!
Last edited by sputnik on Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
sputnik
EPT PHI Player/Writer
EPT PHI Player/Writer

Postby The_General on Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:36 am

for me, i always have happy thoughts whenever i'm playing. it lightens my mood, doesn't bother me whenever i miss make-able shots... i just play. win or lose, i end up happy. :smile:
Les M. Lacson
Bebot Bautista Custom Cues
e-Mail: thegeneral@australiamail.com
URL: www.bebotbautistacues.synthasite.com
International Cuemakers Association
The_General
EPT PHI Player
EPT PHI Player

Postby BECue on Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:21 pm

For a long time now I have not been upset and had kept my cool the whole time. I wasn't concerned with winning or losing as long as I think I played to my satisfaction. However, last night was different. The tournament was a race to 4 in 9 ball. I ran out 2 games of 9 ball off my opponent's empty break - I was playing fast and loose and I could see the lines well but in the other games, I played terrible! I could not finish the last 3 balls and all of them were easy layouts. My pace was the same as the racks that I ran out on but for some reason, I missed relatively easy shots on this other racks. Also adding insult to injury, I lost a hill-hill match by the worst of rolls - my opponent missed on the 7 but the cue ball decided to hide right behind the 8 ball. I missed the kick - the fact that I was pissed at his luck probably didn't help either but in any case he ran out from there. It has been a while but I really felt very angry inside and I was cursing myself and felt the need to shout inside my car as I was driving home just to let my frustration out.

Sometimes, this game doesn't end up being fun at all. :bored:
Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend. - Bruce Lee
BECue
Moderator/Cuemaker
Moderator/Cuemaker

Postby badandy on Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:35 pm

i hate it when i cant see the shot, when i dont know what is going to happen until i shoot and see the results. That is the way i feel when i am off. what helps is concentrating on follow through with a loose grip. it can take awhile but suddenly i start to see the shots again. i get in a funk for a couple of weeks that i have to go through the easy shot / follow through / loose grip for a couple of hours before i start seeing shots but those times are seeming to get farther apart.

tomorrow night is Karen Corr night. i should probably not be on this pc and get on the table instead.
badandy
Moderator/EPT Writer
Moderator/EPT Writer

Postby Skankypie on Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:57 pm

There are times that a player has what they call "a bad day". Even though, you know that you have been practicing a lot, there is always a day of playing that whatever you do, you are really unfortunate. All you have to do is calm yourself down and stop thinking about the mistakes you made. Focus on your next shot or game you are playing. Relieve the stress you are feeling and cheer yourself up. :smile:
tsk tsk tsk....
Skankypie
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Driftmaster on Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:13 pm

Hi there. One thing I learned several years ago was that when I was missing shots, I wasn't seeing the angle quite right. I would get into my shooting position and try to see the angle from that position. So, I learned that I had to stand up over the ball, see the line and see the angle with the cue ball. When you're standing over the shot, you can see which part of the cue ball will make contact with the spot on the object ball that will pocket it. Once I see the line, then I look at where the cue will go after the hit and if I need to use a different speed or different English to get the cue ball back where I need it to be for my next shot. Then, I look at the shot again and make sure of the contact point again.

You see, once you see where the contact point is, then you want to know where you are going to put the cue ball afterwards. Now you're concentration is on cue ball control and not on the contact point. Once you determine how you need to hit the shot, you should make certain of the contact point again and then focus on making contact, using correct ball speed and correct English. One thing you can think about is that many shots will fall when the ball speed is less and harder hit shots will bounce away. So, cue ball speed is important.
Driftmaster
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby kuneho on Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:55 am

When I have an 'off-day', nothing seems to go right. I can't make too many shots even the easiest straight-in ones. Cueball control goes out the window. And what adds to the pain is seeing your opponent playing in his tip-top condition. I used to get really irritated before when this happens and usually I'd lash out with whoever was around me. I'd make all these dumb excuses why my game sucked. Now, whenever I feel that my game is off, I try and concentrate harder and be more careful with making shots. I try not to make any ambitious shots knowing that I can't even sink the simpler ones. I try not to think about the misses and miscues and what nots. But if its really a bad bad bad day, I simply would just call it a night and go home and just try to play another day.
kuneho
Forum Amateur
Forum Amateur

Postby tabachingching on Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:34 am

for me...i always assume that every game is always my last game, and that i can never go back once i lost ... :razz:
tabachingching
Forum Amateur
Forum Amateur

PreviousNext

Return to How would you play this?