How would you have played this?

Discuss game situations with other EPT members. A very cool pool diagramming tool (CueTable) is included to help visually illustrate table layouts. Check it out!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Rule 1: Posts must be in English or have an English translation.
Rule 2: No spamming, trolling, flaming or use of foul, defamatory or abusive language.
Rule 3: Any posts that encourage illegal intent will be removed and the account disabled immediately.
Rule 4: No advertising of any sort. You may advertise in the Advertising forum only.

The moderators reserve the right to edit, delete, or prune any and all Messages which, in our opinion, violates any of the rules as stated above. Offenders will be warned and may be banned for non-compliance.

How would you have played this?

Postby Kim1181 on Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:56 pm

(I HAVE USED THE ONE BALL AS THE CUE BALL BECAUSE I COULDN'T GET THE CUE BALL TO STAY ON THE DIAGRAM. DON'T KNOW WHAT I AM DOING WRONG?) I was in a 9 ball tournament yesterday. I broke, made two balls and ran 6 balls... left myself with this shot on the nine ball. Unfortunately I choked... left the nine ball set up in front of the pocket for my opponent and l lost the game. I was SICK! I tried to bank the ball into the side pocket... I'm thinking now I should have tried to bank to the corner. What would you have done? Nine ball was frozen on the rail.
Kim1181
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby chambero on Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:03 pm

depends on how i am shooting that day... if i feel i could get the bank i'll go for it... but i would probably go for safe.
leaving the cueball somewhere on the right side... preferably somewhere near where the cueball is positioned.
Sori, strik ang parents ko!
chambero
EPT PHI Champ I
EPT PHI Champ I

Postby jldnno on Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:16 pm

With the current table setup I agree with Chambero. However a question you should be asking yourself is how did you get so bad out of line for shape on the nine. If you didn't get the correct shape on the ball before the nine to allow you to get decent shape on the nine a better option might have been to play a safety on the preceeding shot leaving a much more difficult 2 ball out.
jldnno
EPT Writer
EPT Writer

Postby Cue_Tip on Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:14 am

I would clip the 9 to to the top rail and send the Q ball down table. Over hiiting the Q ball is better if not recommended in my opinion. Leaving the Q ball short will leave a cut on the 9, difficult or not still a makeable shot. If you leave the Q at 'B' and the 9 at 'A' your opponent will be forced to play the bank or try and return a safe.

I wouldn't try to bank it in this situation unless I was confident I could control the Q ball. And a miss would probably leave an easy shot.

Cue_Tip
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby chambero on Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:54 am

with the current setup... i dont think you could get the 9 over to point A... but nonetheless, i would still prefer hitting getting the 9 over to the other side... IMO there's more error in cutting the 9 rather than hitting it solid and it's easier to set the cue ball near the rail with the shot that i put up.
Sori, strik ang parents ko!
chambero
EPT PHI Champ I
EPT PHI Champ I

Postby wan_lep on Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:47 pm

i would have gone for a bank with a slight touch of safety..

Aim for the bank but control the speed of the object ball. Make sure that even if you miss that shot it would land the 9 somewhere safe (around point 'A')..your opponent will then be left with a very long bank down the table... :P

wan_lep
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Kim1181 on Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:51 pm

How I got in that situation in the first place is a good question indeed. The eight ball was about 4 inches off the foot rail just about in the middle of the table and the nine ball was sitting almost behind it directly on the foot rail. CB was just behind the head string. Since I don't like to bank I cut the eight ball in, it was a very thin cut. I think I hit the CB too hard, it hit the nine ball and sent it down the table. I've been playing pool off and on for 33 years, went probably close to 17 years without picking up a pool stick so I'm trying to get back in the swing of things. Went back to the table Sunday and set this shot up for practice, slammed it in the side pocket on the second try. I think I just choked :oops:
Kim1181
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby Stevelightning on Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:39 am

I would shoot the reverse bank shot to the upper right corner pocket. If you miss the shot the nine will should stick to the middle of foot rail and the cue travel to the opposite end of table. Speed is very important on this shot if you miss it. So that it works out to be a safety.
Stevelightning
Forum Crusader
Forum Crusader

Postby vucemz on Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:24 pm

i'd probably try the similar thing to wan_lep's, potting the 9 in the middle...
vucemz
Forum Amateur
Forum Amateur

Postby Wanbol on Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:57 am

Banking the nine at the side seems ideal. There's a huge chance that you won't leave your opponent with a gimme shot in case of a miss. If you overshoot it, the 9 could end up somewhere near the opposite short rail with the CB at the other end
A healthy disregard for the impossible
Wanbol
EPT PHI Player
EPT PHI Player

Re: How would you have played this?

Postby caloixv2 on Mon May 25, 2009 7:59 am

simple yet mind buggling.. cut it thin with top right english and hit it with a gentle stroke just enough to roll the target ball an inch to the right of the rail then the cue ball would come near to its original position or better yet freeze in the other side of the rail.
caloixv2
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Return to How would you play this?