Side pocket

Discuss game situations with other EPT members. A very cool pool diagramming tool (CueTable) is included to help visually illustrate table layouts. Check it out!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Rule 1: Posts must be in English or have an English translation.
Rule 2: No spamming, trolling, flaming or use of foul, defamatory or abusive language.
Rule 3: Any posts that encourage illegal intent will be removed and the account disabled immediately.
Rule 4: No advertising of any sort. You may advertise in the Advertising forum only.

The moderators reserve the right to edit, delete, or prune any and all Messages which, in our opinion, violates any of the rules as stated above. Offenders will be warned and may be banned for non-compliance.

Side pocket

Postby Practice8 on Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:30 pm

Any suggetions on making side pocket cuts would be appreciated
The last 2 weekends I got knocked out of the winners side after running out to the 8 ball. The shots were similar in their position I will try to put a diagram. My question is what way is the best aim for them and whether or not any english should be used
Practice8
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

Postby jldnno on Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:07 pm

The problem with cutting balls in the side pocket at the angle you show are twofold. First if you aim directly at the center of the pocket the object ball will hit the left point indicated by the red line in the diagram below. Second even if you adjust your aim correctly you have to shoot the shot at the correct speed as shooting it too soft will induce contact throw and still drive it into the left point or if you shoot it too hard it will hit the right point and double into the left point causing a miss either way you shoot it.

There are two ways to correct your aim to make the ball. You can over cut the ball (very slightly) as in the next diagram to just miss the left point using a soft plus speed which will make it go in off the right point. The soft plus speed will overcome most of the contact throw so you won't have to compensate for it. If you are good at compensating for English induced throw you can use English at very soft to soft to soft plus speeds and not worry about contact induced throw as the English pretty much cancels it out.

There is a general rule to follow as to whether you should try to cut a ball into the side depending on where the object ball is located. Just draw a line from each side pocket to the middle diamond on the end rail. If the object ball is inside the two lines in area C where the 8 ball is located then you have a decent chance of cutting the ball in the side. If the object ball is out side the lines in area A or B then you should consider a bank or a safety over a cut.

jldnno
EPT Writer
EPT Writer

Re: Side pocket

Postby JohnBarton on Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:32 am

Practice8 wrote:Any suggetions on making side pocket cuts would be appreciated
The last 2 weekends I got knocked out of the winners side after running out to the 8 ball. The shots were similar in their position I will try to put a diagram. My question is what way is the best aim for them and whether or not any english should be used

One aiming trick my friends discovered while learning to use some of Hal Houle's systems works really well for side pocket shots. As you address the object ball aim so that the tip of your cue is on a line going just at the object ball's edge that is opposite the pocket. Sight this line through to the rail and shoot the cueball at the rail. You can make 99% of your side pocket shots this way. I make wicked side pocket shots now from tough angles without a problem.

Remember however to shoot at the rail to counteract the effects of any spin you put on the ball. I find that if I shoot at the ball with spin I will throw the object ball off the line to the pocket. If I shoot past the object, that is if I shoot the cueball towards the rail then it intersects the object ball and makes it every time no matter what spin I use.

I don't know how to get the Wei Table to display in the post so here is the string

here is your table, edited by BA (it looks to be a copy of the above table

John
<a href="http://www.cuesight.com" target="_blank" class="postlink">Pool Cues and Billiard Supplies</a>
JohnBarton
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby HotpotJo on Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:12 pm

Hi just want to ask how can I make my own table diagram like in the first post? :P
HotpotJo
Forum Amateur
Forum Amateur

Postby erikido on Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:24 am

Practice8 wrote:Any suggetions on making side pocket cuts would be appreciated

Practice cutting the ball thinner and thinner in the side pocket. Once you know you can do it you won't need all those diagrams to tell you what to do. YOU will look at it and automatically shoot it.
erikido
Forum Thinker
Forum Thinker

Postby chambero on Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:48 pm

agree with erikido... thats what i'd suggest... i feel that these techniques just complicate things IMO... just practice the shot over and over... try different angles until you are able to do it over and over again...

in this shot i would suggest that you try to make it a double purpose shot... cut it on the side while trying to keep the cue ball near the short rail... that way... if you miss, your opponent woud have a difficult shot on the 8.
Sori, strik ang parents ko!
chambero
EPT PHI Champ I
EPT PHI Champ I

Postby JohnBarton on Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:17 pm

Sorry, I completely disagree with the -shoot the shot a million times- method. Reasons? One is that your problem can be mechanical or perception and two is that even if you "master" a shot from one angle what will you do from another angle. Do you shoot the million shots a million ways as well, with inside, outside, high left right, bottom, slow, hard medium speeds, on different tables under different conditions???

The little trick I just showed you is something I learned from amateurs. That's right, amateurs. People I could give the 5 out to and CRUSH all day and night.

I showed them Hal's system, one of them. And an hour later they showed me this nifty way to aim side pocket shots and it works on all tables under all conditions and from practically all angles.

Pre-Hal I was a convert in the Church of a Million shots. Post Hal I am a firm believer that most shots can be approached in the same way. This way I have a million shots ready all the time.

The trick I mentioned about aiming past the edge will help you pocket side pocket shots from angles that would scare most people from even trying it.

Try it you might be surprised.

John
JohnBarton
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby mannyc on Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:38 pm

Use the Aiming System introduced by Hal Houle... known as Center To Edge... you may watch the sample video in youtube to help you figure out how...
mannyc
Forum Amateur
Forum Amateur

Postby Driftmaster on Sun May 17, 2009 3:15 am

This is your best option here. Learn your banks and make them a strength. Use medium speed to get a truer bounce off the rail and practice, practice, practice. On this bank shot, there's a wide open side pocket waiting for the 8 ball.
Driftmaster
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby caloixv2 on Mon May 25, 2009 4:22 am

cutting in side pockets just like in the diagram is not as easy as it is shown by others. it gets worse when you encounter this kind of shot and you have to prepare for the next ball which is on the other side of the table (which from the diagrams ball position, the next ball would be in the rights side of the table). just try to practice cutting to the side and adjust it thinner. you'll get used to it. but dont get too cocky. that kinda shot especially when its the last ball has a very very high risk
caloixv2
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby markee on Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:01 pm

Thin cuts to the middle pocket are a test of 3 things. Cueing, aiming and speed for more acute angles ...... with the most important being cueing. Once your cueing is perfect or as near as, then learn to aim, but if you learn to aim without consistent cueing, you are wasting your time. If you want to use english particularly on thin cuts then bank it.
markee
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby arisalmario on Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:18 pm

This is just like what ive learned in math class during my highschool and college days. Math teachers would give you the formula and they would demonstrate how it works for problem solving. Being a student, the first thing that you would do is to memorize the formula. And unfortunately, thats the only thing students do. Memorizing. Memorizing, knowing is just the cognitive part of learning. We should also know how to apply our math in the real world.

As for your shot, the only advice I could suggest, that is relatively short enough is, be the table, be the cue ball, be the object ball, be the cue, be everything. YOur mind is powerful enough to process all these factors at once. Angle, the throw, the effect of spin. THe thing is, the subject of your concern is,, You. YOur the one who is shooting the ball. So everything is based on your own perspective. No matter how much explanation there is for you, its still up to you to make it happen. The skill here is all based on what your mind sees.

What the mind can see, the body can achieve. If your mind sees clearly that the ball is going in the pocket, it is bound to go there as you do shoot it.

Maybe it would be helpful if you reassess your thoughts while shooting balls.

GB.
arisalmario
Forum Amateur
Forum Amateur

Return to How would you play this?