Need opinions on these instructional books

Looking for pool instructors or instructional materials such as videos and book?

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Rule 1: Posts must be in English or have an English translation.
Rule 2: No spamming, trolling, flaming or use of foul, defamatory or abusive language.
Rule 3: Any posts that encourage illegal intent will be removed and the account disabled immediately.
Rule 4: No advertising of any sort. You may advertise in the Advertising forum only.

The moderators reserve the right to edit, delete, or prune any and all Messages which, in our opinion, violates any of the rules as stated above. Offenders will be warned and may be banned for non-compliance.

Need opinions on these instructional books

Postby -Blade- on Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:07 pm

I'm looking to buy a book which is an instructional book and covers everything from tight cuts that are not close to a pocket, to complex doubles. However, the book also has to provide excellent explanations and background details on shots and in-game routines.

Capelle's Practising Pool
Play your best eight ball (is this book more about technical explanations and suggestions rather than instructions for improving various areas of my abilities?)
The 8 Ball Bible (by the guy who wrote the beard's guide to banking)

What's the best book to practise routines from?

Thanks
-Blade-
Forum Thinker
Forum Thinker

Re: Need opinions on these instructional books

Postby NoLimit on Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:08 pm

-Blade- wrote:I'm looking to buy a book which is an instructional book and covers everything from tight cuts that are not close to a pocket, to complex doubles. However, the book also has to provide excellent explanations and background details on shots and in-game routines.

Capelle's Practising Pool
Play your best eight ball (is this book more about technical explanations and suggestions rather than instructions for improving various areas of my abilities?)

Thanks

I think buying this book has helped me with figuring out what angle to hit the object ball at. I still need more practice, but reading this book has also helped me on simple bank shots. I rarely need to think about how to make simple bank shots now. He goes into detail about position play and other fundamentals you need to know about pool. I haven't read the entire book yet, but I certainly noticed an improvement in my game after reading a chapter or two on the basics that he covers.
NoLimit
Forum Thinker
Forum Thinker

Postby mechmat on Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:34 am

I've read the 8 Ball Bible, but not the Capelle book. I just wanted to let you know it's a strategy book, not a technique book. It basically has a introduction of the author's general strategy in 8 ball, which is followed by a ton of situational examples. He explains the method he employs to use english to get position, but it's really not helpful if you're already familiar with positioning methods, with or without english. As I remember, it does not cover how to execute thin cuts or combination shots.

Overall, it's a good book if you own a table, or don't mind taking the book to the pool hall and setting up shot after shot.
mechmat
Forum Catechist
Forum Catechist

Return to Instructional materials and schools