I need a book

Looking for pool instructors or instructional materials such as videos and book?

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Rule 1: Posts must be in English or have an English translation.
Rule 2: No spamming, trolling, flaming or use of foul, defamatory or abusive language.
Rule 3: Any posts that encourage illegal intent will be removed and the account disabled immediately.
Rule 4: No advertising of any sort. You may advertise in the Advertising forum only.

The moderators reserve the right to edit, delete, or prune any and all Messages which, in our opinion, violates any of the rules as stated above. Offenders will be warned and may be banned for non-compliance.

I need a book

Postby jldbeck1 on Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:33 pm

I'm thinking of getting Capelle's Play Your Best Pool since I've heard a lot of recommendations for it. I'm also looking at Ray Martin's 99 Critical Shots of Pool which is really popular around here. But that might be because Ray Martin tends to hang around the pool halls I go to. :P

I'm an APA 5 in 8 ball and 9 ball, and I've been playing for about 5 years off and on. Never seriously until the last 6 months when I joined the APA. I don't have a table at home to practice shots on, so I'd rather have a book that didn't have a lot of that. Any suggestions on which would be the better buy, or a different book/DVD that might be better would be much appreciated. Thanks
- David

Cue: Schmelke w/ OB-1
Break: Panther J/B
jldbeck1
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

Postby dmole on Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:24 am

I have both books. The Play Your Best Pool is a good read, back to basics and fundamentals and will teach some advance lessons also. 99 critical shots of pool, you can read it after the Play Your Best Pool.

Also an instructional DVD would be helpful or you buy a DVD of match of the best pool players...
First World Philippines - http://www.ca2020.net
dmole
EPT PHI Champ I
EPT PHI Champ I

Postby badandy on Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:18 am

i have both books and agree with above. they are both good but if i were to choose one i would go with capell
badandy
Moderator/EPT Writer
Moderator/EPT Writer

Postby jldbeck1 on Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:47 pm

Capelle it is. Thanks guys
- David

Cue: Schmelke w/ OB-1
Break: Panther J/B
jldbeck1
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

Postby allanpsand on Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:23 pm

I have a decent collection and find that every once in a while, it helps to go back to the books for beginners. There is always someting in the basics that you will need a reminder about.
Allan P. Sand, BCA/ACS Instructor & Author
Billiards Blogs (www.billiardgods.com)
allanpsand
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Return to Instructional materials and schools