DVD - Where to start and with who(m)?

Looking for pool instructors or instructional materials such as videos and book?

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Rule 1: Posts must be in English or have an English translation.
Rule 2: No spamming, trolling, flaming or use of foul, defamatory or abusive language.
Rule 3: Any posts that encourage illegal intent will be removed and the account disabled immediately.
Rule 4: No advertising of any sort. You may advertise in the Advertising forum only.

The moderators reserve the right to edit, delete, or prune any and all Messages which, in our opinion, violates any of the rules as stated above. Offenders will be warned and may be banned for non-compliance.

DVD - Where to start and with who(m)?

Postby galt on Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:22 am

I have gotten a few suggestions about which DVD is best for a raw beginner. I am thinking that like any similar sport, it comes down to same five basics.

Stance, grip, aim, trigger pull (or swing) (or stroke), follow thru.

If this is correct, which DVD and instructor is the best to learn the basics from? A DVD that covers more than that (strategy, english, etc??) would be great too. I would like to not get any bad habits from the start (or as few as possible), thus my interest.

So what say you, oh wise and experienced forumers?
galt
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby poolplayer on Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:14 pm

I haven't seen many of the instructional videos so I can't think of one I would outright recommend. I wasn't impressed with the ones I did see. The Monk videos seem to just give you just enough info to entice you to buy the next video. The only stuff I found useful in CJ Wiley's video is tape 3. The other 2 offers info I can find on the net or any book. Plus his arrogance kinds turns me off. I like Grady's videos but the ones I've seen aren't for the rank beginner. I've read you've been looking at amazon for material. I would suggest you take a look at accu-stats and seyberts for more pool related dvds and instructionals.
http://WWW.EASYPOOLTUTOR.COM

Unleashing the Pinoy in you!

And

Romance on Demand
poolplayer
Moderator/EPT Writer
Moderator/EPT Writer

Postby galt on Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:30 am

In absence of other suggestions, I was waffling between Byrnes #1 & OFFICIAL "How to Play Pool Right". I went with Byrnes this evening for $20. Since I am so new, I will try to post a review from the "newbie" perspective when I have digested some of it . 8O
galt
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby poolplayer on Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:11 am

That's not bad. Some people have recommended Bert Kinister's stuff but no opinions on that.
http://WWW.EASYPOOLTUTOR.COM

Unleashing the Pinoy in you!

And

Romance on Demand
poolplayer
Moderator/EPT Writer
Moderator/EPT Writer

Postby Dawgie on Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:58 am

Byrnes is good for a beginner as well as #2 for intermediate. His book is also a good read with good illustrations.[img]

Along with the DVD and books you might also want to take a lesson. Be sure to get a recommendation from soneone as to the teaching abilities of the instructor and let the instructor know that you are a beginner. A good shooter is not necessarily a good teach.instructor. Also ask the instructor for a few references.[/img]
Dawgie
Forum Preacher
Forum Preacher

Return to Instructional materials and schools