Tip and Shaft Question

If you have questions about a particular custom or production cue or accessory or if you are looking for information about a specific cue maker, this forum is the place to go.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Rule 1: Posts must be in English or have an English translation.
Rule 2: No spamming, trolling, flaming or use of foul, defamatory or abusive language.
Rule 3: Any posts that encourage illegal intent will be removed and the account disabled immediately.
Rule 4: No advertising of any sort. You may advertise in the Advertising forum only.

The moderators reserve the right to edit, delete, or prune any and all Messages which, in our opinion, violates any of the rules as stated above. Offenders will be warned and may be banned for non-compliance.

Tip and Shaft Question

Postby PokeAndHope on Wed May 05, 2010 5:23 pm

Hey guys/gals my first post here. Been looking at this site since '04 though.

A few years ago I was given an old cue which was a Helmstetter. My dad had a new shaft made for me at the time since I was using his stick all the time. At that time I wasn't that big into all the specs of my cue like I am now, and am wondering if I need to change some stuff, and what you guys/gals think.

It's a Jacoby shaft
The diameter is 14.5mm which I'm accustomed to shooting with but everyone I've talked to and everywhere I've read say that's way too big.

The tips is a Tiger Everest medium layered.
Browsing this site I've never seen anyone mention Tiger tips at all.

Also the shaft was made about 1.5 inches longer than a normal shaft.

Should I look at getting the shaft narrowed a little bit and a different tip? I know most of it personal preference, but looking for some more educated opinions. I'm about to start shooting and practicing a lot more. The one year I shot BCA league i was an 8.6 and lead my team in points even though I missed 3 weeks for military stuff. Don't know if that matter in regards to the eqiupment choices or not.

Thanks for your replies.
PokeAndHope
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Re: Tip and Shaft Question

Postby poolplayer on Thu May 06, 2010 12:12 am

I think you might have answered you own question there. It doesn't seem there's any problems with your current setup. Pool balls have no idea what size shaft or tip you're using, so if you're comfortable with everything, there won't be much need to change. A tip change might be a good starting point if you really want to change something on your current shaft which would be the cheapest option. If the original shaft is available that's smaller or someone can lend you a smaller shaft, you can try shooting with that for a while to see if you really like the smaller shaft. I've found that it doesn't matter what the majority advocates if it doesn't feel right to me and there's no noticeable improvement. I think one of the problems with your shaft is finding tips that can fit it. Not everyone readily stocks tips that size. As for Tiger, they're a good company and they have nice tips.
http://WWW.EASYPOOLTUTOR.COM

Unleashing the Pinoy in you!

And

Romance on Demand
poolplayer
Moderator/EPT Writer
Moderator/EPT Writer

Postby PokeAndHope on Thu May 06, 2010 12:42 am

Thanks for the reply. I thought I had read somewhere that for BCA the max shaft diameter was 14mm. I'll have to go double check that. I do still have the original shaft and it needs a new tip very badly. I'll puts around and decide what I like, although the extra 1.5 inches seems to help out abit on the 9 footers when I mess my shapes up a little.
PokeAndHope
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby eicustomcues on Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:34 am

Hey , Lou "machine gun" Butera played with a 14mm and I like the thicker shafts myself . Different strokes for different folks . If it's not broke , don't fix it !!! :whoa: :geek:
eicustomcues
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Trisha_silvester on Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:29 pm

One thing to keep in mind when replacing a pool cue tip is to get a bigger tip than what will fit at the end of your shaft.
Trisha_silvester
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

Postby CrownCityCorey on Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:29 pm

poolplayer wrote:I think you might have answered you own question there. It doesn't seem there's any problems with your current setup. Pool balls have no idea what size shaft or tip you're using, so if you're comfortable with everything, there won't be much need to change. A tip change might be a good starting point if you really want to change something on your current shaft which would be the cheapest option. If the original shaft is available that's smaller or someone can lend you a smaller shaft, you can try shooting with that for a while to see if you really like the smaller shaft. I've found that it doesn't matter what the majority advocates if it doesn't feel right to me and there's no noticeable improvement. I think one of the problems with your shaft is finding tips that can fit it. Not everyone readily stocks tips that size. As for Tiger, they're a good company and they have nice tips.

The best place for Tiger Tips: http://tigerbilliardcues.com/tiger-cue-tips.html
CrownCityCorey
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Return to Custom or Production Cues, Cuemakers & Accessories