For the money whats the best cue?

If you have questions about a particular custom or production cue or accessory or if you are looking for information about a specific cue maker, this forum is the place to go.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Rule 1: Posts must be in English or have an English translation.
Rule 2: No spamming, trolling, flaming or use of foul, defamatory or abusive language.
Rule 3: Any posts that encourage illegal intent will be removed and the account disabled immediately.
Rule 4: No advertising of any sort. You may advertise in the Advertising forum only.

The moderators reserve the right to edit, delete, or prune any and all Messages which, in our opinion, violates any of the rules as stated above. Offenders will be warned and may be banned for non-compliance.

For the money whats the best cue?

Postby bassmaster on Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:42 am

For the money what is the best cue? I'm not worried what it looks like just how they play. I know everyone will have different opinions but thought it would be fun to see. thanks
bassmaster
Forum Amateur
Forum Amateur

Postby qbilder on Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:15 am

How much money?
qbilder
Forum Mentor
Forum Mentor

Postby carrot on Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:40 pm

the best cue would be the one that will give you more money. :mrgreen:
carrot
Forum Catechist
Forum Catechist

Postby bassmaster on Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:17 pm

I don't have any dollar number in mind just wondering what the best playing cue for the dollar would be.
bassmaster
Forum Amateur
Forum Amateur

Postby mechmat on Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:10 pm

The one you can afford and like. 90% of picking a cue is personal preference. This question has been raised about 100 times, and always ends up in a 'my favorite cue is....', 'no, that cue sucks, this one is better....' arguement.

In general if you want playability for you money, go for something very plain. Either a solid color with no designs or a sneaky pete. And there are about a bagillion good brands and even more custom cuemakers that can make you a quality cue. I suggest you put a predator shaft on whatever you buy, but that's my preference. Depending on your budget, a $200 shaft may not improve the playability of the cue enough to justify that much money.
mechmat
Forum Catechist
Forum Catechist

Postby johnmadden on Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:15 pm

bassmaster wrote:I don't have any dollar number in mind just wondering what the best playing cue for the dollar would be.

For YOUR money the best cue would be one that you like. If you are happy with a production cue with standard size - length, butt diameter, weight, shaft taper and size, ferrule material, etc "one size fits all", than that would be your best value (but if you are planning on selling it at a later date you may have to take a loss since some production cues do not hold value). If you have a custom cue built with your specifications (weight, materials, inlays if wanted, etc) and you like the hit and playability then you have made a good investment for yourself. You would not have to keep searching and spending money looking for the "best playing cue" for yourself. (you may not even need to replace your production cue shaft with a Predator since custom also means you have choices on the taper or some custom cuemakers will fit a Predator shaft to their custom cues- so you don't buy 2 shafts). And not all custom cues cost in the thousands - some cuemakers prices are quite competitive with production cue prices.
John Madden - cuemaker
www.johnmaddencues.com
johnmadden
Forum Thinker
Forum Thinker

Postby Vince511 on Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:57 am

Try out a Viking and a McDermott, the ones with the simplest look. They put the same quality of material into their $100-150 cues as they do their $600 cues. You won't notice an increasing degree in playability, just an increasing degree in the amount of people who think your cue is pretty.

I love my McDermott MG-2. Simple charcoal grey with black/white wrap. Looks classy and plays as good as anything I've ever used.
Vince511
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby STLPoolShark on Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:42 pm

So your saying its the best to just buy a cue with the brand that you like and an affordable price. nice tx
STLPoolShark

Postby statoncues on Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:35 pm

So your saying its the best to just buy a cue with the brand that you like and an affordable price. nice tx
go get a custom hustler cue or a custom plain jane you can pick up these cues cheap for under $300. They play great and you can order any weight and shaft size you like. mike stacey,prather,woody woodworth, are a few that make realy nice full splice hustler cues with and with out wraps good luck and keep playing.
statoncues
Forum Amateur
Forum Amateur

Postby bandido on Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:38 am

My recommendation at this "point and time" is based on the 1) knowledge that this cuemaker shows at this early stage 2) The interest and determination to learn and apply knowledge that has been carefully screened and verified in order to produce top quality cues. 3) His concentrating on what makes a "structurally sound", playability comment is reserved for the user, cue instead of the "eye-candy" part. This is very important and a lot of the "was" and mediocre cuemakers thought they have found the best structural configuration, concentrated on the eye'candy" and ceased to continue improving the structure. 4) His proximity to available supplies thus giving him the opportunity to pick and choose the best materials for his products. 5) Proximity and friendship with other known cuemakers who share their knowledge to him. 6) He's just starting out and his base-line output, initial offerings, are already impressive. And since he's just starting out, his below $1k prices are well within reach of consumers looking for a structurally sound custom cue that has the potential to be a highly sought after product in the future.

Who is this up and coming? Our very own JoeyG!

Edwin Reyes<--thinks it's deja vu
bandido
EPT PHI Champ II
EPT PHI Champ II

Postby xxticy on Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:17 pm

Where can we get an idea of what some of JoeyG's cues look like...?
xxticy
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby joey_g on Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:53 am

Thank you Ed. For the first time in my life, I'm speechless.
joey_g
Forum Mentor
Forum Mentor

Postby carrot on Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:20 pm

xxticy, here is the link joey posted some of the member's future sticks. http://www.easypooltutor.com/postt3620.html
carrot
Forum Catechist
Forum Catechist

Return to Custom or Production Cues, Cuemakers & Accessories