Predator Z2 shaft on a Meucci Butt

This forum is dedicated to reviewing and testing of pool and billiard related products. If you have a product that you would like our members to try out and test, this is the place where you can make that happen. Contact the administrator for if you are interested. Members who wish to put a review of a product can post here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Rule 1: Posts must be in English or have an English translation.
Rule 2: No spamming, trolling, flaming or use of foul, defamatory or abusive language.
Rule 3: Any posts that encourage illegal intent will be removed and the account disabled immediately.
Rule 4: No advertising of any sort. You may advertise in the Advertising forum only.

The moderators reserve the right to edit, delete, or prune any and all Messages which, in our opinion, violates any of the rules as stated above. Offenders will be warned and may be banned for non-compliance.

Predator Z2 shaft on a Meucci Butt

Postby mick on Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:26 am

Well I broke down and bought a Predator Z2 shaft for my Meucci. I got it with a Moori3, medium, same tip I have on the red-dot for the same Meucci. I've seen it played by lots of good position players and I think it will work pretty good. After I play with it a while I'll report on it's good and not so good traits...I know it will have some of each.
"I spent most of my life playing pool, the rest of the time I just wasted." -- Unknown
mick
Moderator/EPT Writer
Moderator/EPT Writer

Postby jeffwinters on Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:48 am

can't wait for your report mick, are you going to hate it or love it? :twisted:
jeffwinters
EPT PHI Player
EPT PHI Player

Postby badandy on Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:19 pm

let us know your thoughts when you r ready
badandy
Moderator/EPT Writer
Moderator/EPT Writer

Postby mick on Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:47 am

Well I got the Z2 shaft with Moori 3 medium, for the Meucci butt. The collar is a black ring and the shaft base is slightly larger than the Meucci butt top but not enough to worry about.

The first thing I noticed was the taper. It starts small and gradually gets bigger, it's not same size for so many inches but the taper is so gradual you don't notice it when shooting.

The tip looks to be about 12mm with a very short ferule, about 1/2 inch. I understand this is to lower deflection.

One of the first tests I did was to see if the tip would miscue like my 314 does when I go more than 2 tips out. I didn't see this tendency with the Z2 and that's GOOD!

Next I did some deflection tests by aiming the CB from kitchen at center table to the base cushion center dot. I did the test with no english, then 1/2 tip, then 1 tip, then 1 1/2 tips, and amazingly the CB went straight down the table with almost no deflection. I did notice at 2 tips I got about an inch of deflection full table.

I tried these tests multiple times to eliminate cue'ing errors. I hit hard, med and soft. I noticed the harder I hit the more deflection I got, what I expected, but at med speed deflection at 1 1/2 tips was very minor. I did the same tests with my Meucci red dot and was amazed at how much more deflection I got. The two shafts weren't even close (even with the red dot on top as Meucci claims...).

I had heard that full table hits were harder with the Z2 because of the smaller tip, but I found it to be the exact opposite. I am more accurate than with my other cues, including the 314 shaft and my P2 Predator with 314. The thing I learned about long shots was to not put side english on the CB due to speed/distance deflection possibilities even with the Z2. Hit center top/bottom my long shots were extremely accurate. I'm making shots with full table cuts I've been less accurate with before.

I'm still getting used to the new shaft, but so far I'm really impressed and it shoots solid, accurate and the control is absolutely fantastic. I'm even having to adjust my shots so I don't get 'too much' spin/draw because the shaft/tip work so well.

The only slightly negative thing I noticed was that with a smaller tip you have to be more precise where you hit the CB so you don't get unintended side spin...but that is something I've gotten used to. It forces me to be more precise with my CB hits and that's good!

When I got the Z2 I put it on my drill with cue holder rubber cup and burnished the entire shaft really well with leather. I'm also being careful when I chalk the tip to not get loose powder on the shaft. So far I've managed to keep it pristine and new. Time will tell.

And, Oh by the way, the shaft came with a neat little shaft sock with drawstring...it's pretty fancy with a small gold predator cat on it...it freaks out even seasoned players to see a shaft inside a custom sock when you unpack...

Well, that's it unless anyone has any questions.

Mick
"I spent most of my life playing pool, the rest of the time I just wasted." -- Unknown
mick
Moderator/EPT Writer
Moderator/EPT Writer

Postby jeffwinters on Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:59 am

great, your review made me think about this shaft, i've heard that it's too good that it's difficult to control the CB, very unforgiving if your not precise with your shots.
jeffwinters
EPT PHI Player
EPT PHI Player

Postby The_General on Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:39 am

well, it seems you're loving the Z than hate it. :) i also had the chance to try a Z2 way back when the 2nd Gen was recently out in the market. i am not a fan of commercially marketed cues but i had to admit the Z was ok for me. i got comfortable with it easily. unlike the 314... i would never use a 314 even if someone gives it to me free... i will just sell it. :mrgreen: of course, this is only my personal opinion based on my personal experiences. :wink:
Les M. Lacson
Bebot Bautista Custom Cues
e-Mail: thegeneral@australiamail.com
URL: www.bebotbautistacues.synthasite.com
International Cuemakers Association
The_General
EPT PHI Player
EPT PHI Player

Postby mick on Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:06 am

To clarify the issue of accuracy of hit...

I said above:
The only slightly negative thing I noticed was that with a smaller tip you have to be more precise where you hit the CB so you don't get unintended side spin...but that is something I've gotten used to. It forces me to be more precise with my CB hits and that's good!

To clarify:
This might be why some people don't like the Z2. It's a finesse shooting shaft, slammers might as well stay with a stiff shaft. If you use a Z2 and hit with lots of speed and side english you are likely going to miss long shots. I use med speed unless I'm using draw but I always use center hits on the CB for long shots to improve accuracy.
mick
Moderator/EPT Writer
Moderator/EPT Writer

Postby badandy on Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:13 am

good review.
badandy
Moderator/EPT Writer
Moderator/EPT Writer

Postby GARCIA on Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:27 pm

I too just recieved a Z2 from predator. Also came with that cool sock! Unfortunately, I split my old Z, but they sent me a Z2 as a replacement...only have about two racks played with it but look forward to using it more!!!!!!! For anyone who had the original Z and now the Z2, do you notice any major differences????????? :?:
GARCIA
Forum Amateur
Forum Amateur

Postby badandy on Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:00 am

GARCIA wrote:I too just recieved a Z2 from predator.

last i remember pred said you were on your own because your shaft was too thin. has something changed?
badandy
Moderator/EPT Writer
Moderator/EPT Writer

Postby Wiz-nz on Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:21 pm

Most of the good players I watch stroke the ball nicely. They still power the odd shot, when they have an awkward lie and need to gain position to pot the next ball. But overall
slammers might as well stay with a stiff shaft

That is the case alright. I'm still learning. But the shafts I'm using as one older chap said make the job look that much easier. I was chuffed when he said that because he said it in front of some very good players.
I'm gobsmacked at the lengths that cuemakers aand builders are going to such painful lengths to keep the frontend weight of the cue tip down such as drilling out the front end and inserting lighter timber such as yellow cedar.
I'm only really starting to come to grips with the discovery I've made with this timber silky oak. 8) :D
You are right with what you say here too Mick
you have to be more precise where you hit the CB so you don't get unintended side spin

This is exactly what I'm saying. Good well designed shafts or timbers that are light in the tipend help you to exert more spin by transfering that spin by hitting the cue ball less off centre ie 1mm off centre will give you the same spin as a badly designed tip heavy cue 2 cuetips out. :o
Wiz-nz
Forum Crusader
Forum Crusader

Postby GARCIA on Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:34 pm

Wiz-nz...
After what seemed to be endless back and forth discussion with predator, they fianally showed some flexability and sent me a refurbished shaft,being the Z2....am I completely satisfied with a refurb? Not completely, but atleast they were willing to do something.
In your opinion, would you b happy with this, be satisfied with a refurb??? I've never had one.
GARCIA
Forum Amateur
Forum Amateur

Postby badandy on Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:20 am

sounds like a reasonable compromise if in fact the original shaft was too thin due to user handling even though it was unintentional.
badandy
Moderator/EPT Writer
Moderator/EPT Writer

Postby Wiz-nz on Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:43 am

If what I'm reading is thus, that you have been sent a new Z2 shaft to replace the split one, then they have probably done the only alternative GARCIA . Im not therefore surprised that any cuemakers in the world have thought of using nylon tips. If the split shaft is anything to go by they are making tips more & more dense and it is going to be an ongoing problem with maple shafts in the future. I think that your shaft splitting will just be the tip of the iceberg. The harder tip applies more stress to the shaft structure on the break and the modulous of rupture of maple although reasonably high struggles to cope with the harder tips. I've seen good quality maple solid shafts split clean down the centre. I take it that the Z shaft you had was a laminated one in ten pieces as the predators are. No amount of glue will hold these from splitting. The cue only needs one segment to be softer grained and the cue when it's used to break will tend to bend toward the softer segment stressing the whole structure of the shaft. Presto, one more shaft on the way to splitting. :roll:
Wiz-nz
Forum Crusader
Forum Crusader

Postby GARCIA on Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:57 pm

I certainly will not be using my Z as a break shaft.
GARCIA
Forum Amateur
Forum Amateur

Next

Return to Product Testing and Review Forum