Which shaft... Predator, Mezz or OB?

This forum is dedicated to reviewing and testing of pool and billiard related products. If you have a product that you would like our members to try out and test, this is the place where you can make that happen. Contact the administrator for if you are interested. Members who wish to put a review of a product can post here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Rule 1: Posts must be in English or have an English translation.
Rule 2: No spamming, trolling, flaming or use of foul, defamatory or abusive language.
Rule 3: Any posts that encourage illegal intent will be removed and the account disabled immediately.
Rule 4: No advertising of any sort. You may advertise in the Advertising forum only.

The moderators reserve the right to edit, delete, or prune any and all Messages which, in our opinion, violates any of the rules as stated above. Offenders will be warned and may be banned for non-compliance.

Which shaft... Predator, Mezz or OB?

Postby BlowFish on Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:57 am

Here is my own personal opinion of the shafts I have tested extensively:

OB1 : Soft hit with a hollow feel (muffled feedback).

WD700 : Firm hit with great feedback.

Alpha : Firmer hit with great feedback. Grabs the CB better than WD700, hence can import more spin.

314-2 : Stiff hit with virtually zero feedback.

Fat-2 : Stiffer hit with a hollow feel (muffled feedback).

HP2 : Stiffer hit with a slight hollow feel hence with less feedback.

OB-2 : Stiffest hit with a hollow feel (muffled feedback).

Z2 : Stiffest hit with a hollow feel (muffled feedback).

Feedback-wise:

1. Alpha and WD700
2. HP2 and OB-1
3. Z2, FAT-2 and OB-2
4. 314-2

Stiffness-wise:

1. Z2 and OB-2
2. FAT-2 and HP2
3. 314 and Alpha
4. WD700
5. OB-1

Tip Size:

1. FAT-2 @ 13.20mm
2. Alpha @ 12.80mm
2. 314-2 and OB-1 @ 12.75mm
3. HP2, WD700 @ 12.50mm
4. Z2 and OB-2 @ 11.75mm

Taper:

Pro : 314-2, FAT-2 and OB-1
Euro : Z2, OB-2
Parabolic: HP2, Alpha and WD700

The info above are based on my personal opinion based on using the shafts above. There are more to these than meets the eye on shaft selection. You still have the Cue Butt and also the way you shoot that will make your decision different from others. Even the selection of what tip to use is very subjective. Nothing beats in test hitting and shooting with the shaft and get the feel if it is for you. Choose the shaft that hits the way you want it to hit and the feedback you want, then stick with that shaft. That's the only way to get used to your equipment and be one with the cue.

Hope this info helps.

Thanx,
My Cues:

Mezz - "Something that is loved, something that is treasured".

"Never interrupt your opponent, when he is making a mistake."
BlowFish
EPT PHI Champ I
EPT PHI Champ I

Re: Which shaft... Predator, Mezz or OB?

Postby pacman on Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:35 am

bro how about identifying as well the construction technique for each shaft why they have less deflection..etc...

e.g. 314 is laminated pie like & etc...
t0 bE........oR n0t t0 bE.........oR n0t t0 bE...................
iF u DoN't WaNt to ExTiNcT, uNlEaSh YoUr kIlLeR iNsTiNcT!!!!!
pacman
EPT PHI Committee/Champ III

Postby schontastic on Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:15 pm

Mezz PUJ shafts shoot well/good but I have yet to try a WD700 and one of those HP2s. Anyone care to let me try theirs? :-D I'd really appreciate it. :smile:
schontastic
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby BlowFish on Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:01 am

schontastic wrote:Mezz PUJ shafts shoot well/good but I have yet to try a WD700 and one of those HP2s. Anyone care to let me try theirs? :-D I'd really appreciate it. :smile:

When you attend a Tour Stop. There are a few users of Mezz Cues and a couple more who have Mezz shafts married to a non-Mezz Butt. When I go home and attend a TS, I usually bring those shafts. Let me see if I can carry them on my next TS which is May. It depends when the TS is and my schedule.
My Cues:

BlowFish
EPT PHI Champ I
EPT PHI Champ I

Postby schontastic on Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:05 am

BlowFish wrote:
schontastic wrote:Mezz PUJ shafts shoot well/good but I have yet to try a WD700 and one of those HP2s. Anyone care to let me try theirs? :-D I'd really appreciate it. :smile:

When you attend a Tour Stop. There are a few users of Mezz Cues and a couple more who have Mezz shafts married to a non-Mezz Butt. When I go home and attend a TS, I usually bring those shafts. Let me see if I can carry them on my next TS which is May. It depends when the TS is and my schedule.

Wow thanks Blowfish. Hopefully I'll be able to qualify for the May Tourstop. Hope you can bring them if ever. :smile:
schontastic
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ombin on Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:28 am

BlowFish wrote:Here is my own personal opinion of the shafts I have tested extensively:

OB1 : Soft hit with a hollow feel (muffled feedback).

WD700 : Firm hit with great feedback.

Alpha : Firmer hit with great feedback. Grabs the CB better than WD700, hence can import more spin.

314-2 : Stiff hit with virtually zero feedback.

Fat-2 : Stiffer hit with a hollow feel (muffled feedback).

HP2 : Stiffer hit with a slight hollow feel hence with less feedback.

OB-2 : Stiffest hit with a hollow feel (muffled feedback).

Z2 : Stiffest hit with a hollow feel (muffled feedback).

Feedback-wise:

1. Alpha and WD700
2. HP2 and OB-1
3. Z2, FAT-2 and OB-2
4. 314-2

Stiffness-wise:

1. Z2 and OB-2
2. FAT-2 and HP2
3. 314 and Alpha
4. WD700
5. OB-1

Tip Size:

1. FAT-2 @ 13.20mm
2. Alpha @ 12.80mm
2. 314-2 and OB-1 @ 12.75mm
3. HP2, WD700 @ 12.50mm
4. Z2 and OB-2 @ 11.75mm

Taper:

Pro : 314-2, FAT-2 and OB-1
Euro : Z2, OB-2
Parabolic: HP2, Alpha and WD700

The info above are based on my personal opinion based on using the shafts above. There are more to these than meets the eye on shaft selection. You still have the Cue Butt and also the way you shoot that will make your decision different from others. Even the selection of what tip to use is very subjective. Nothing beats in test hitting and shooting with the shaft and get the feel if it is for you. Choose the shaft that hits the way you want it to hit and the feedback you want, then stick with that shaft. That's the only way to get used to your equipment and be one with the cue.

Hope this info helps.

Thanx,

sir, pardon the ignorance... but could you tell me what feedback is and how do you differentiate a pro, euro and parabolic taper?
ombin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby BlowFish on Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:30 am

Feedback when it comes to cue is the vibration, resonance and tone you feel and hear from the cue. If a cue gives you good feedback, you know when you hit it properly or not rightaway. It can also tell you if the cue is well built.

Pro taper usually is one long continuous diameter size from tip upto 12" or longer towards the back of the shaft before the diameter increases.

Euro taper usually is a continuous increase of shaft diameter until it reaches the back of the shaft. If you've seen a Snooker Cue, this is what Euro taper is.

Parabolic taper is a graduated increase in taper diameter size. As an example, 12.5mm from tip the first 6" and then 12.6mm for the next 3" and 12.7mm for the next 3" and so on.
BlowFish
EPT PHI Champ I
EPT PHI Champ I

Postby ombin on Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:54 pm

BlowFish wrote:Feedback when it comes to cue is the vibration, resonance and tone you feel and hear from the cue. If a cue gives you good feedback, you know when you hit it properly or not rightaway. It can also tell you if the cue is well built.

Pro taper usually is one long continuous diameter size from tip upto 12" or longer towards the back of the shaft before the diameter increases.

Euro taper usually is a continuous increase of shaft diameter until it reaches the back of the shaft. If you've seen a Snooker Cue, this is what Euro taper is.

Parabolic taper is a graduated increase in taper diameter size. As an example, 12.5mm from tip the first 6" and then 12.6mm for the next 3" and 12.7mm for the next 3" and so on.

thanks for the quick feedback... really contemplating on purchasing a shaft and just augment it with a locally made butt... so far with the current specs you've given on this thread, my choices are down to alpha, wd700, ob-1 and hp-2... anyway, just with the given specs, i don't want a euro taper, no feedback cue and diameter neither lesser nor more than 12.5mm and 12.8mm, respectively... thanks for the thread, at least i've narrowed my choices, somehow... by the way, i'm the one who ordered an npc-35 and bumper thru buzzer... hope to do business with you again if ever i've decided to purchase a shaft that you carry...
ombin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby BlowFish on Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:58 am

No problem Sir. I can bring you some shafts to test hit next time. Then you can make decision as to what shaft will fit you. I think I have the following shafts: WD700, HP2, Alpha, 314-Fat and OB1 for you to test.
BlowFish
EPT PHI Champ I
EPT PHI Champ I

Postby ombin on Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:13 pm

BlowFish wrote:No problem Sir. I can bring you some shafts to test hit next time. Then you can make decision as to what shaft will fit you. I think I have the following shafts: WD700, HP2, Alpha, 314-Fat and OB1 for you to test.

really? thanks... will really appreciate it if you would... it is my belief that no amount of research or reading reviews can surpass the actual experience of trying those shafts myself...
ombin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby pacman on Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:46 am

ombin wrote:
BlowFish wrote:No problem Sir. I can bring you some shafts to test hit next time. Then you can make decision as to what shaft will fit you. I think I have the following shafts: WD700, HP2, Alpha, 314-Fat and OB1 for you to test.

really? thanks... will really appreciate it if you would... it is my belief that no amount of research or reading reviews can surpass the actual experience of trying those shafts myself...

Hey Ombin, you can try my HP2 & Alpha & my sharp shooter (though my SS is still with the cue maker for fitting)

Just approach us during TS while not playing, i unstnd you're not familiar with us yet but our bros & sis @EPT are all cooperative.

btw welcome to EPT
pacman

Postby ombin on Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:30 pm

pacman wrote:
ombin wrote:

Hey Ombin, you can try my HP2 & Alpha & my sharp shooter (though my SS is still with the cue maker for fitting)

Just approach us during TS while not playing, i unstnd you're not familiar with us yet but our bros & sis @EPT are all cooperative.

btw welcome to EPT

thanks for the welcome... will do next TS... hope hindi magconflict sa sked so i could join again and do better next time...
ombin
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby ice_13 on Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:41 am

ombin wrote:
pacman wrote:
ombin wrote:

btw welcome to EPT

thanks for the welcome... will do next TS... hope hindi magconflict sa sked so i could join again and do better next time...

So when are you going to try the DI shaft?
ice_13
Forum Amateur
Forum Amateur

Postby buchoy on Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:09 am

I prefer 314 and mezz hybrid shafts. btw, i'm looking for used predator 314 shaft with 5/16x14 joint or mezz hybrid shaft with united joint.
buchoy
Forum Amateur
Forum Amateur

Postby BlowFish on Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:47 am

buchoy wrote:I prefer 314 and mezz hybrid shafts. btw, i'm looking for used predator 314 shaft with 5/16x14 joint or mezz hybrid shaft with united joint.

HybridPro is a discontinued product over a year ago.
My Cues:

BlowFish
EPT PHI Champ I
EPT PHI Champ I

Return to Product Testing and Review Forum