Practicing banks

Submit your practice drills or routines in this forum using the CueTable diagramming tool. This will be a single location for people to find help with drills and practice routines.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Rule 1: Posts must be in English or have an English translation.
Rule 2: No spamming, trolling, flaming or use of foul, defamatory or abusive language.
Rule 3: Any posts that encourage illegal intent will be removed and the account disabled immediately.
Rule 4: No advertising of any sort. You may advertise in the Advertising forum only.

The moderators reserve the right to edit, delete, or prune any and all Messages which, in our opinion, violates any of the rules as stated above. Offenders will be warned and may be banned for non-compliance.

Practicing banks

Postby Sloppy_9s on Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:39 am

I've read some interesting ideas on this site to practice banks, something that I sorely need to do, for they suck in my game.
Bank pool, 4-ball bank game...
What do you people suggest that might be a good tool to practice this part of the game? Are there any other routines or drills or games that one might play that would improve my bank shots?

Thanks.

~Sloppy 9s
Sloppy_9s
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby Masayoshi on Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:38 am

One of the best ways to learn banks is to play one pocket, if you dont want to do that you can always just throw some balls on the table and bank them all in. i have found that set drills with banks can lead you to practicing the same banks over and over, which is not always practical in a game. in a real game you need to know how to shorten and widen angles with english and/or speed, control the cue ball well off of a bank and possibly most importantly, you need to learn how to play the banks 2 ways in case you miss.
Masayoshi
Forum Thinker
Forum Thinker

Postby TheConArtist on Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:22 am

The way to get better at banks is to practice them. What made a big understanding for me is that all tables are different. I am a banking machine at my home court but at a different table i have to adjust. And what works for me is personally when the objectball is closer to the rail a harder hit works and the further away a softer hit. Plus i like to use outside english to help me pocket the ball. But for a drill place three balls on the table and break them up and bank those in, after this add another ball and so on.
TheConArtist
Forum Catechist
Forum Catechist

Postby ernier4154 on Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:23 pm

One concept that has really helped me bank better is to remember that the object ball will be coming off the bank at the same angle that it entered it. If you use this knowledge when eyeballing the shot, it really helps to pick the correct spot to hit the object ball at. This is assuming that the cue ball is hit with no side spin and at medium speed, which for me is most of the time. With these other aspects thrown in, all bets are off. :lol:
<a href="http://www.pool-and-pocket-billiards-resource.com/" target="_blank">Pool and Pocket Billiards Resource</a> A site for pool and pocket billiards players.
ernier4154
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby BECue on Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:06 pm

I think the most effective way to learn and improve your skill at banking is to actually practice it repeatedly. Shown in the diagram are the most common banks... practice them by placing the cueball at different location and find out where the bank can be made and at what point where it is no longer possible. Use different speeds and english to find out how the ball reacts.

Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend. - Bruce Lee
BECue
Moderator/Cuemaker
Moderator/Cuemaker

Re: Practicing banks

Postby poolman78 on Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:55 am

I find that if I walk around the table and stand behind the pocket I am banking to I will hold the cuestick across the table to a point that I think should be the impact point of the object ball.
poolman78
poolman78
Forum Amateur
Forum Amateur

Postby shark on Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:20 am

There's a method in calculating bank shot.. (intersecting the diagonal lines between object ball and the pockets). I find this method accurate or at least a good pocketing percentage. There's also a method in calculating diamond shot which I find it also pretty much accurate. (or the least helpful)..

Although most of the time.. I rely on instinct, why I suck often! :goofy:
shark
EPT PHI Player
EPT PHI Player

Postby gerold on Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:14 pm

this shot is one of my old time favorites... i usually imagine lines on the table that's why i make it alot of times... my advice is to get a bit much angle if you want to practice bank shots,imagine where the ball will be rolling, if you get dizzy looking at the ball try to step back (at least one step back) and look at the table that way you can analyze it more, do that until you've perfected it..(perfection) when that time comes.. that way it will be easier if you'll encountered straight or simple banks.... :smile:
Mastering others makes one powerful, but mastering yourself makes one fearless

KEEP MOVING FORWARD
gerold
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

Postby Driftmaster on Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:40 am

Something I started doing years ago (when I understood that banking was a serious weakness of mine) was something like this:

I would start with the first ball, try to figure out the correct spot on the bank to shoot the 1-ball, and see how much adjustment I needed to make until I pocketed the ball. Once I did, I would make note of the spot on the rail and do it again. And, again and again and again. Then I would move to the 2-ball and put the 1-ball to the other side of the 3-ball, like this:

I would already know where the spot was for the 1-ball and adjust slightly for the 2-ball and see what happens and make small adjustments as necessary. Then, I would move on to the 3-ball, then back to the 1-ball, then 2-ball, then 3-ball across the table. I would keep shooting at the same pocket. Then, once this was virtually impossible, I would start the process with the object balls moving right to left. The reason is that I didn't want to try to "calculate" the angle, I wanted to feel the angle, know the angle from practice. Then, I would start something like this:

And, also like this:

You have to feel comfortable with any angle to any pocket. You also have to practice these bank shots with different speeds and different English when it's necessary. For example, to make the following bank shot without using English and the correct speed is impossible.

But, using right English (which transfers left English to the 1-ball) and also adding some speed can lessen the angle and pocket the ball, like this:

The extra speed will straighten the deflection off the rail and the transfer of right English into left English on the object ball will also help. In cases like these, it's a matter of practice and learning, feeling the speed necessary and the amount of English necessary. I would practice these drills for four hours a day and in the beginning I did this for four months straight. Once you learn to ride the bicycle, you don't have to relearn it. It does take time to really feel it, but it will seriously improve your game.
Driftmaster
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Return to Practice Drills and Shots