How Do You Practice?

Submit your practice drills or routines in this forum using the CueTable diagramming tool. This will be a single location for people to find help with drills and practice routines.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Rule 1: Posts must be in English or have an English translation.
Rule 2: No spamming, trolling, flaming or use of foul, defamatory or abusive language.
Rule 3: Any posts that encourage illegal intent will be removed and the account disabled immediately.
Rule 4: No advertising of any sort. You may advertise in the Advertising forum only.

The moderators reserve the right to edit, delete, or prune any and all Messages which, in our opinion, violates any of the rules as stated above. Offenders will be warned and may be banned for non-compliance.

How Do You Practice?

Postby sed26 on Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:48 am

I think I may be practicing too many things at one time. I practice straight-in long shots, shots in the side pocket, draw shots and variations and sidespin on the cueball. How many things do you work on when you're trying to improve your game? Maybe I'm trying to correct too many things at one time. Should I practice one thing until I get pretty good at it and its no longer a weakness or should I continue working on everything.
sed26
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: How Do You Practice?

Postby pgm3 on Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:41 pm

before I practice, I do made drillings like controling the cue balls roll, drwing soft and hard, follow through and rolling. Then i practice by playing by myself. I will try to run it out but as I missed shots, I will place it again until I finally made it. I will repeat this for couple of times.
But the point I consider is practicing the game as if you are on a real match.. Just thinking that every mistakes counts and can spoil me the match..
pgm3
Forum Amateur
Forum Amateur

Postby badandy on Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:19 am

i go for stroke feel. if it feels light and responsive i am good to go. if it feels like i have a club in my hand i need to keep working on it.
badandy
Moderator/EPT Writer
Moderator/EPT Writer

Postby yaj_ching_shung on Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:54 pm

I always practice w/a friend, who is a much better player than me, underdog you might say, but it works, cause advance players can teach you shots that you've never dreamed of possible, dont mind loosing a few bucks. It's worth it!
Sponsored by:
Image Image
Image Image Image
In Pool & Photography, it's always the "Indian", not the "Pana".
yaj_ching_shung
EPT PHI Champ I
EPT PHI Champ I

Postby alexpogi on Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:08 pm

I'm with badandy on this one. I just spread 15 balls + CB on the table and shoot everything until I get the feel for my stroke. That's what I tend to do before tournaments.

If I go to the pool hall alone and I'm plan on practicing, I have about 2-3 drills in mind and I don't move on to the next drill until the current drill is perfect.
alexpogi
EPT PHI Player
EPT PHI Player

Postby PAL on Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:05 am

alexpogi wrote:I'm with badandy on this one. I just spread 15 balls + CB on the table and shoot everything until I get the feel for my stroke. That's what I tend to do before tournaments.

If I go to the pool hall alone and I'm plan on practicing, I have about 2-3 drills in mind and I don't move on to the next drill until the current drill is perfect.

I am doing the same thing as alexpogi. Spreading the 15 balls.. First I shoot any 10 balls to practice my pocketing.. Then the remaining 5 balls should be pocketed in order.. This is for the ball preparation practices..

I usually go to billiard hall alone.. That's why I joined this forum, to meet friends. And learn more..
PAL
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby poolman78 on Wed May 07, 2008 2:37 am

Normally I practice shots. rail shots, cut shots and long shots. I do one at a time and I give each about 45 minutes. Tonight I practiced for two hours and the only ball on the table was the CB. I am lucky that where I work (part time-Im retired) there are two pool tables I can use. Bar size. Tonight I spent the time doing diamond shots. Side and long with just the cue ball. I wanted to get a feel for fhture bank shots. I will continus to add this practice with the others until I have the diamonds burnt into my memory. :D 8)
poolman78
poolman78
Forum Amateur
Forum Amateur

Postby sed26 on Wed May 07, 2008 11:35 am

Sounds like a good routine. About how long are bar size tables? What type of pool balls do they have. I've noticed that there is a certain type that wont allow you to apply the draw technique to them because of their weight.
sed26
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby poolman78 on Thu May 08, 2008 6:17 pm

sed26 wrote:Sounds like a good routine. About how long are bar size tables? What type of pool balls do they have. I've noticed that there is a certain type that wont allow you to apply the draw technique to them because of their weight.

I don't remember how long the tables are. They are the regular size tables that one finds in a bar, but they are not coin operated. I work in a senoir community room and the balls and the CB are all regulation. In most bars the CB is heavier then normal so it can reset the money slot for the next 25 cents, and you are right, it does present a problem with CB control. :)
poolman78
poolman78
Forum Amateur
Forum Amateur

Postby players314 on Wed May 28, 2008 7:18 am

i start off running racks of straight pool for an hour which i concentrate on patterns and then ill rack up 8 ball racks break and then take away either stripes and solids to practice run outs, then i move on 2 the L drill and stop shots and draw shot drills.
" do you play billiards Mr. felson?"
players314
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby coy_palaboy on Fri May 30, 2008 7:34 am

i always find time to practise pool.,i do some routines likes controlling the ball or making straight shots i also like to play a player which has more experience than me so that ive learned from him,,i always asked questions and then i try them to have an idea how to make them a perfect shot.. :smile:
coy_palaboy
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby shark on Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:22 am

I just play.. that's my practice.
shark
EPT PHI Player
EPT PHI Player

Postby BECue on Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:38 pm

After stumbling upon a good read on sports psychology (http://www.mindtools.com/page11.html), I've developed a personal training regimen based on the ideas presented by the articles on that site. Basically, it is a goal oriented training where I have a long term and short term goals. My long term goal went all the way to 2 years and within that I have short term goals every 6 months. Within each short term goals, I broke it down even further and have a goal that I need to achieve on each practice session. This is very rewarding because I can see that I am making progress each time I have a practice session unlike before when my sessions seem to be pointless and I am not really trying to achieve something but rather just doing the drills for a set amount of time (eg. an hour, etc). The good thing about this is how I was able to take into the account the amount of time I have free for practice so I was able to adjust my goals based on this fact.

As far as drills that I am doing, I am using PAT 2 (Playing Ability Test - Intermediate level). This book contains excellent training material and seems to have a systematic approach to training important aspects of the game. There are drills for stroke speed, stroke straightness, draw, follow, short position shots, long position shots, rail drills, etc. You can download the PAT ebooks where it is viewable for a limited time.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=23285

I just did a couple of practice sessions this weekend and it feels great to be able to achieve something on each of my practice sessions. It gives me confidence and I look forward to my next practice session. I can't wait to see if I can achieve my first short term goal in 6 months. :smile:

I've tried many different ways of practicing before but this one seems to have the most promise. I've never been excited about practicing alone but this goal-oriented stuff is really making me psyched-up and I can't wait to have another practice session tonight.
Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend. - Bruce Lee
BECue
Moderator/Cuemaker
Moderator/Cuemaker

Postby rackrunner34 on Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:04 pm

I set up a pool practice as if it were a track practice for me. I have a warm up, drills, workout, and a cool down. A good warm up might be stroke practice, then speed and contact control. Follow that up with a few drills you work on, maybe try a few new drills that push you game and then to the actual workout. Shoot/Run a few racks, play against someone. Put yourself in pressure situation so that you get use to shooting under tuff situations. Then close it up with a few more very fundamental things. An easy drill or two, maybe a few breaks.

[BX]
rackrunner34
Forum Amateur
Forum Amateur

Postby el_kapitan on Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:50 am

I use 3, 4 and 5 balls to practice then just spread the 9 balls on the table.
el_kapitan
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Next

Return to Practice Drills and Shots