How many of you can execute this drill?

Submit your practice drills or routines in this forum using the CueTable diagramming tool. This will be a single location for people to find help with drills and practice routines.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Rule 1: Posts must be in English or have an English translation.
Rule 2: No spamming, trolling, flaming or use of foul, defamatory or abusive language.
Rule 3: Any posts that encourage illegal intent will be removed and the account disabled immediately.
Rule 4: No advertising of any sort. You may advertise in the Advertising forum only.

The moderators reserve the right to edit, delete, or prune any and all Messages which, in our opinion, violates any of the rules as stated above. Offenders will be warned and may be banned for non-compliance.

How many of you can execute this drill?

Postby BECue on Thu May 08, 2008 5:29 pm

How many of you can run this pattern? This is a beginner practice routine from PAT-1. Start with cue ball in hand and shoot in order from 1 thru 6. Shoot 1,3 and 5 in corner pocket A and 2,4,6 in corner pocket B.



A successful run means pocket all 6 balls in order without missing and the cueball without scratching.

I've been playing so bad lately, my average sucess rate on this drill is probably 1 out of 10. In my defense, my table has 4 inch corner pockets. However, if it is the regular sized 4.5 or 5 inch pockets, I can probably make 2 out of 10 but that's still a maybe! :roll:

See thread below to download the PAT ebooks.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=23285&hilit=free+download
Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend. - Bruce Lee
User avatar
BECue
Moderator/Cuemaker
Moderator/Cuemaker
 
Posts: 1324
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2000 5:00 am
Location: United States

Re: How many of you can execute this drill?

Postby sed26 on Sat May 10, 2008 5:12 am

Havent tried this yet. It brings up a question though. When should a person practice drills like this? Should I first practice more on cueball control before I start doing drills like this?
User avatar
sed26
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:17 am
Location: United States

Re: How many of you can execute this drill?

Postby shark on Sun May 11, 2008 5:44 am

Haven't tried it either but seems nice to try it..
Image
User avatar
shark
EPT PHI Player
EPT PHI Player
 
Posts: 1252
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2001 5:00 am
Location: Philippines

Re: How many of you can execute this drill?

Postby BECue on Sun May 11, 2008 4:32 pm

sed26 wrote:Havent tried this yet. It brings up a question though. When should a person practice drills like this? Should I first practice more on cueball control before I start doing drills like this?


This is actually a drill on cue ball control as you have to position the cueball nicely for the next shot. This is a beginner practice routine from PAT (Playing Ability Test). The intermediate and advanced drills are of course more difficult and involves more balls.
Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend. - Bruce Lee
User avatar
BECue
Moderator/Cuemaker
Moderator/Cuemaker
 
Posts: 1324
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2000 5:00 am
Location: United States

Re: How many of you can execute this drill?

Postby shark on Mon May 12, 2008 3:50 am

Is the rule of the drill is just pocket it in the designated irregardless of how the cueball run?.. say, pure plain cue ball control using draw without rail or I can do whatever as long as I run it..

well, if it's the case,.. done it! 3 out of 5 tries.

Also, tried with pure draw no rail for position... 0 of out 5 (damn!) :mrgreen:
Image
User avatar
shark
EPT PHI Player
EPT PHI Player
 
Posts: 1252
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2001 5:00 am
Location: Philippines

Re: How many of you can execute this drill?

Postby yaj_ching_shung on Mon May 12, 2008 9:14 am

try ko nga!

Trans: trying..............................
Sponsored by:
Image Image
Image Image Image
Image
In Pool & Photography, it's always the "Indian", not the "Pana".
User avatar
yaj_ching_shung
EPT PHI Champ I
EPT PHI Champ I
 
Posts: 536
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:00 am
Location: Philippines

Re: How many of you can execute this drill?

Postby yaj_ching_shung on Mon May 12, 2008 11:37 am

Tried it, 3 / 10, nakakahilo, dapat my assistant. Kasi pa ikot ikot ka sa table.

Trans: Makes me dizzy.
Sponsored by:
Image Image
Image Image Image
Image
In Pool & Photography, it's always the "Indian", not the "Pana".
User avatar
yaj_ching_shung
EPT PHI Champ I
EPT PHI Champ I
 
Posts: 536
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:00 am
Location: Philippines

Re: How many of you can execute this drill?

Postby BECue on Mon May 12, 2008 3:33 pm

shark wrote:Is the rule of the drill is just pocket it in the designated irregardless of how the cueball run?.. say, pure plain cue ball control using draw without rail or I can do whatever as long as I run it..

well, if it's the case,.. done it! 3 out of 5 tries.

Also, tried with pure draw no rail for position... 0 of out 5 (damn!) :mrgreen:


I assumed based on the diagram from PAT that this was a no-rail drill but you got me thinking... it may not be a beginner drill if you cannot use a rail so it must mean that you can use the rails... I'm such a dufus... I've been beating myself up for not being able to execute a supposedly simple drill but I've been doing it wrong (and the hard way) all along! :mad:

Here's another PAT beginner drill. Shoot balls in consecutive order... 1,3,5 in corner pocket A and 2,4,6 in corner pocket B. You can use one or more rails for position but if you want to make it an advanced drill then don't use a rail. :bad:

Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend. - Bruce Lee
User avatar
BECue
Moderator/Cuemaker
Moderator/Cuemaker
 
Posts: 1324
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2000 5:00 am
Location: United States

Re: How many of you can execute this drill?

Postby shark on Tue May 13, 2008 6:02 am

I think this one is a bit harder let me try when I get home.. I think you can't do it without rail since the last 2 balls is almost touching the rail (how the hell should I get position from 5th going the 6th without rail?) :mrgreen: Also, the problem of getting the position coming from 4ball going to the 5th without touching the rail? :bad:

admin wrote:
shark wrote:Is the rule of the drill is just pocket it in the designated irregardless of how the cueball run?.. say, pure plain cue ball control using draw without rail or I can do whatever as long as I run it..

well, if it's the case,.. done it! 3 out of 5 tries.

Also, tried with pure draw no rail for position... 0 of out 5 (damn!) :mrgreen:


I assumed based on the diagram from PAT that this was a no-rail drill but you got me thinking... it may not be a beginner drill if you cannot use a rail so it must mean that you can use the rails... I'm such a dufus... I've been beating myself up for not being able to execute a supposedly simple drill but I've been doing it wrong (and the hard way) all along! :mad:

Here's another PAT beginner drill. Shoot balls in consecutive order... 1,3,5 in corner pocket A and 2,4,6 in corner pocket B. You can use one or more rails for position but if you want to make it an advanced drill then don't use a rail. :bad:

Image
User avatar
shark
EPT PHI Player
EPT PHI Player
 
Posts: 1252
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2001 5:00 am
Location: Philippines

Re: How many of you can execute this drill?

Postby BlowFish on Tue May 13, 2008 8:06 am

You're not called Shark for nothing. :wink:

























Honestly, it's impossible I think. From 4 to 5, you need to be near touching the rail to shoot 5 to have an angle. Then from 5 to 6, CB will need to be near touching the rail or straight in to shoot the 6.
My Cues:
Image

Mezz - "Something that is loved, something that is treasured".

"Never interrupt your opponent, when he is making a mistake."
User avatar
BlowFish
EPT PHI Champ I
EPT PHI Champ I
 
Posts: 2370
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:00 am
Location: Hong Kong

Re: How many of you can execute this drill?

Postby BECue on Tue May 13, 2008 2:27 pm

I tried this 2 drills last night. I got 2/5 on the first one and 1/5 on the second. You are right about the 2nd drill, it may be close to impossible to execute it without using a rail but it is not impossible. See the shots diagrammed below (6 shots).



All that is required is perfect position on every ball. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend. - Bruce Lee
User avatar
BECue
Moderator/Cuemaker
Moderator/Cuemaker
 
Posts: 1324
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2000 5:00 am
Location: United States

Re: How many of you can execute this drill?

Postby shark on Thu May 15, 2008 4:23 am

Tried the 2nd diagram.. Whew! it's tough getting position without rail (0 out of 5).

Even with rails the drill is a bit tough, especially if you're restricted to pocket balls in the specific pocket.. You to use two rails crossing the middle to get position. If you overshoot your position getting back is much tougher. I manage to do it 2 out 5 tries though..

I think for beginners, just pocket it in any of the corner pocket would be enough.
User avatar
shark
EPT PHI Player
EPT PHI Player
 
Posts: 1252
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2001 5:00 am
Location: Philippines

Re: How many of you can execute this drill?

Postby pacman on Thu May 15, 2008 8:31 am

Nice drill/s Chris, i will thy those soon coz i am currently trying to improve my game.

Bellow is the drill i've been doin for two days now, 1st day 1out of 10 , 2 out of 10 on the second day. Though it is easier to shoot at left side if you're right handed.

t0 bE........oR n0t t0 bE.........oR n0t t0 bE...................
iF u DoN't WaNt to ExTiNcT, uNlEaSh YoUr kIlLeR iNsTiNcT!!!!!
User avatar
pacman
EPT PHI Committee/Champ III
EPT PHI Committee/Champ III
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2003 6:00 am
Location: Philippines

Re: How many of you can execute this drill?

Postby shark on Thu May 15, 2008 10:40 am

pacman wrote:Nice drill/s Chris, i will thy those soon coz i am currently trying to improve my game.

Bellow is the drill i've been doin for two days now, 1st day 1out of 10 , 2 out of 10 on the second day. Though it is easier to shoot at left side if you're right handed.



been doing this drill for years.. so far, the best I can do is 8 balls..
Image
User avatar
shark
EPT PHI Player
EPT PHI Player
 
Posts: 1252
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2001 5:00 am
Location: Philippines

Re: How many of you can execute this drill?

Postby BECue on Thu May 15, 2008 2:15 pm

shark wrote:Tried the 2nd diagram.. Whew! it's tough getting position without rail (0 out of 5).

Even with rails the drill is a bit tough, especially if you're restricted to pocket balls in the specific pocket.. You to use two rails crossing the middle to get position. If you overshoot your position getting back is much tougher. I manage to do it 2 out 5 tries though..

I think for beginners, just pocket it in any of the corner pocket would be enough.


I think you are right again on the part where you can shoot at any corner pocket. That sounds more like a beginner drill than the one I stated where you can only pocket balls at 2 designated corner pockets... or maybe this PAT system has a different criteria for what they call beginners. :) I looked at all 4 PAT ebooks and they are full of great drills and you guys should check it out. You can get scores for each drill and you can total them up and compare them against pros like Hohmann, etc. Check the PAT website. You can download the ebooks for free but they are only viewable for 2 days then you have to buy it.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=23285

pacman wrote:Nice drill/s Chris, i will thy those soon coz i am currently trying to improve my game.

Bellow is the drill i've been doin for two days now, 1st day 1out of 10 , 2 out of 10 on the second day. Though it is easier to shoot at left side if you're right handed.



I do a similar drill to this but not that many balls. I only use around 9 balls. You guys are too advanced for me... I'm only doing beginner drills at the moment. :)
Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend. - Bruce Lee
User avatar
BECue
Moderator/Cuemaker
Moderator/Cuemaker
 
Posts: 1324
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2000 5:00 am
Location: United States


Next

Return to Practice Drills and Shots

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest