shooting lines of balls.. does it help?

Submit your practice drills or routines in this forum using the CueTable diagramming tool. This will be a single location for people to find help with drills and practice routines.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Rule 1: Posts must be in English or have an English translation.
Rule 2: No spamming, trolling, flaming or use of foul, defamatory or abusive language.
Rule 3: Any posts that encourage illegal intent will be removed and the account disabled immediately.
Rule 4: No advertising of any sort. You may advertise in the Advertising forum only.

The moderators reserve the right to edit, delete, or prune any and all Messages which, in our opinion, violates any of the rules as stated above. Offenders will be warned and may be banned for non-compliance.

shooting lines of balls.. does it help?

Postby sofy600 on Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:47 pm

My thought on this is that every shot in pool is very different.. Learning how to bounce from one shot to the other hitting different speeds and spins ect. Thats what you get in real games. I see many players that line up 15 balls in an L shape and put them all into one pocket. Or a line all the way down the table for the side pocket. Ive never broken a rack of balls and had this table layout. Does it help ? Does it hurt the rest of your game ? These people can play for hours and not hit one hard top english shot.. or one dramatic bottom draw. No three rail leaves for hours.. Seems like it could pull attention off your game.. while getting you really good at the easy basic shots and cue control that any low ranked player can handle with consistency. I say practice doing the things you cannot do. Running multiple racks, shooting the hardest shots till they are easier. shooting pinned on balls and rails. Banks shots. i maybe wrong.
sofy600
Forum Amateur
Forum Amateur

Re: shooting lines of balls.. does it help?

Postby sixpocket on Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:11 am

I dont know but I have seen a lot of the Filipino pros practice and they do not do drills like that at all, they just run racks and if there is any particular shot that causes them trouble they redo the shot over and over until they get it right :hmm: :hmm:
Predator Performance...... If others cues perform better how come they are sold with predator shafts
sixpocket
EPT PHI Player
EPT PHI Player

Postby BECue on Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:04 pm

IMO drill like the L-drill helps a lot. The L-drill was specifically designed to practice "short" positions where you are only using one half of the table. This drill (if done right) develops your soft and finesse stroke. If combined with other type of drills like this one below that develops your "long" position play where the cue ball travel all around the table, your practice routine can be very productive.

Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend. - Bruce Lee
BECue
Moderator/Cuemaker
Moderator/Cuemaker

Postby shark on Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:15 am

You mean by lining-up shot is having a practice drill.. Yes, you are right, not all shots are the same. And mostly, you won't encounter a drill like type in your game.. but why do it? Here's my opinion..

The purpose of a drill is not to transform difficult shot to an easy shot.. It's not even to practice tough shots (you want to practice tough shot, just lay down a single ball and position cue ball to make it a difficult shot.. then shoot!). Generally, a drill is designed to perfect your cue ball control. To make use of your english (top, bottom, side), master your speed and most of all develop your table planning. A drill is suppose to be an all easy shots. But what make it difficult is how you would position in every inch of the way. A drill normally require near perfect positioning or you mess it up.

So why practice a drill? Basically, player loose because 1) You miss in a relatively simple, easy to medium shot; 2) You over/under speed a position that you end up in a difficult shot; 3) You don't have a plan in a table lay-out (in short, you're just shooting balls and you don't have a clue what's your doing...) and the 4th is you take a gamble on a difficult shot.

The 4th one is a choice a player has to take but item 1, 2, and 3 are normally a win game turned otherwise because you messed up! That's what a drill is designed for... lessen the possibility of losing a winning game.

A classic example is the drill posted by Admin.. You probably might not encounter a similar table lay-out in a real game however, if you overshoot a position in any part of the drill, most likely you can't make a run out of it.. If you don't have a plan how you're gonna run if out (example in the other thread.. admin initial thought is to run it out without any rail.. where it would be a lot easier using rail - result is, probability of running out is low). And last (which is the hardest).. a ball in hand, and you missed! ... I'm sure, you wouldn't want that to happen in a real game.
shark
EPT PHI Player
EPT PHI Player

Postby JJFSTAR on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:18 pm

Doing drills of any kind doesn’t much matter if it is lines of balls or tough bank or cut shots; for most players it is superior to breaking the balls and trying to run the table because for the most part players get careless and sloppy playing solo 8 or 9 ball and that leads to the reinforcement of bad habits rather than good practice. The highly advanced and pro players don’t seem to have this problem. Drilling can be hard or easy it is up to you but if you have never run consecutive racks of 9 or 8 ball it is necessary to drill until you do.

This is universally true of all sports there are never going to be tires on a football field so why practice with them? Because not only does the players quadriceps need to be strong but his muscle memory needs to be sharp.
JJFSTAR
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

Return to Practice Drills and Shots