THE 10 MOST COMMON POOL MISTAKES

Submit your practice drills or routines in this forum using the CueTable diagramming tool. This will be a single location for people to find help with drills and practice routines.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Rule 1: Posts must be in English or have an English translation.
Rule 2: No spamming, trolling, flaming or use of foul, defamatory or abusive language.
Rule 3: Any posts that encourage illegal intent will be removed and the account disabled immediately.
Rule 4: No advertising of any sort. You may advertise in the Advertising forum only.

The moderators reserve the right to edit, delete, or prune any and all Messages which, in our opinion, violates any of the rules as stated above. Offenders will be warned and may be banned for non-compliance.

Postby predatorblak1 on Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:06 am

#1. BRIDGE Too loose of the bridge hand, MUST BE FIRM
#2. WARM UP STROKES
Not enough warm up strokes prior to stiking the cue ball, these strokes create looseness and final alignment.
#3. FOLLOW THROUGH
Moving prior to the completion of the stroke.
#4. LEVEL STROKE
The butt of the cue being to high during the entire stroke.
#5. PLAYING SAFE
Never shoot a tough shot without the chance of a reward, if position and shot are tough, PLAY SAFE.
#6. MENTAL
Being intimidated by the importance of the match or the opponent, just play the balls.
#7. CUE STROKE
Getting position for the next shot is determined by the angle you have on the object ball and striking the cue ball high, low or center.

#8. CUE TIP
Not roughing up the tip often enough, Will Prevent Miscues.
#9. Chalk
Forgetting to chalk up frequently.
#10. Practice
Practice these tips every time you play, even in practice time.
predatorblak1
Forum Thinker
Forum Thinker

Re: THE 10 MOST COMMON POOL MISTAKES

Postby joey_g on Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:29 am

4. Is soooo common.
joey_g
Forum Mentor
Forum Mentor

Postby BECue on Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:31 pm

#5 is a problem for me. I go for the shot only because I don't know how to play safe.
Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend. - Bruce Lee
BECue
Moderator/Cuemaker
Moderator/Cuemaker

Postby koi on Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:34 am

# 6 for me. :cry:
kamote... sablay...
koi
EPT PHI Player
EPT PHI Player

Postby BlowFish on Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:34 pm

#3 is my issue. I always tend to poke it. :dead:
My Cues:

Mezz - "Something that is loved, something that is treasured".

"Never interrupt your opponent, when he is making a mistake."
BlowFish
EPT PHI Champ I
EPT PHI Champ I

Postby miss_b on Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:16 am

very informative. i'm guilty of at least three mistakes posted here. but #10 is what i really have to adhere. practice make perfect or in my case will help me improve.
miss_b
Forum Amateur
Forum Amateur

Postby ice_13 on Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:23 am

was hit by #9 :cry:
ice_13
Forum Amateur
Forum Amateur

Postby buchoy on Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:24 pm

nice! tips are helpful! i have difficulty using the bridge and get intimidated by my opponent sometimes.
buchoy
Forum Amateur
Forum Amateur

Postby arisalmario on Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:50 pm

May I add another...

Often,,, we forget to be conservative or prudent with our game. In the most unexpected times, we do commit mistakes. It maybe because we often misjudge our shots. It's really difficult to keep on thinking/processing much information specially when were on the table playing in a tournament or for money. But in my opinion, the best way to win is to consider all aspects. Always have a contingency incase the results are not what you expected. To apply this, I think one should have a clean mind. Concentration and focus in the game would do.

So for me its,,, being over confident that sometimes kills us. Overconfidence is different from your self belief that you could actually do something extraordinary.

Conservatism/ Prudence in shot making should be considered.
arisalmario
Forum Amateur
Forum Amateur

Postby arisalmario on Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:56 pm

By the way,,, most of the mistakes posted are those because of physical reasons. Lack of warm up, the tip is not properly shaped, leveling, etc. This are all basics. Out of the ten, one was about mental " being intimidated". Of course one can't win if he has no practice. But the mental game is also equally as important. Skills are important. But its the mind, the thoughts of the player that governs how this skills are to be used.

Another common mistake is that players lack the element of formulating a strategy/master plan to obliterate the opponent. Often players play with skills because all players see is "running of balls" and often they fail to see the strategies.

For a low class player like me, a player who doesn't run more than 5 balls on the average, i cant afford not to create a strategy. It's my only chance in winning against a better opponent.
arisalmario
Forum Amateur
Forum Amateur

Return to Practice Drills and Shots