In Need of a Drill to Improve Consistency.

Submit your practice drills or routines in this forum using the CueTable diagramming tool. This will be a single location for people to find help with drills and practice routines.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Rule 1: Posts must be in English or have an English translation.
Rule 2: No spamming, trolling, flaming or use of foul, defamatory or abusive language.
Rule 3: Any posts that encourage illegal intent will be removed and the account disabled immediately.
Rule 4: No advertising of any sort. You may advertise in the Advertising forum only.

The moderators reserve the right to edit, delete, or prune any and all Messages which, in our opinion, violates any of the rules as stated above. Offenders will be warned and may be banned for non-compliance.

In Need of a Drill to Improve Consistency.

Postby t3ngl0ng on Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:40 am

I've been playing for a while, and there are many times where I can run the table in 3-5 turns, but then there are also many times that I mess up on so many of my shots that just seem so simple. I've done a few drills to help with my aim, but none of them really seemed to help too much, especially when it comes to my consistency. What drills should I try to do? Should I try a new aiming method? I basically just use the ghost ball method and nothing else.
t3ngl0ng
Forum Amateur
Forum Amateur

Re: In Need of a Drill to Improve Consistency.

Postby mannyc on Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:47 pm

Just practice a lot that really helps. By the way how many months or year you've been playing?
mannyc
Forum Amateur
Forum Amateur

Postby t3ngl0ng on Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:35 am

It's been 2 years since I've started playing pool, but I haven't gotten the chance to take it really seriously for the past 1.5 years because I was without a pool table for most of that time :(...
t3ngl0ng
Forum Amateur
Forum Amateur

Postby DTrain on Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:07 pm

One drill I do for the first 15 minutes is to simply set up any ball in the middle of the table, and the cue ball about 1 1/2 - 2 diamonds back (make sure to line the cue ball and object ball so it's a dead straight shot in the corner...any corner) and just make the ball. What you're going for is to see if the cue ball deflects at all. If you're shooting with good stroke, the ball should either stop, or draw straight back (with bottom, of course). If you see the cue ball deflect, then you're not hitting the center-bottom of the ball.
DTrain
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

Postby Proper_English on Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:22 am

Hi there,

Here is a great drill I picked up from Ga Young Kim, that will improve all aspects of your game, and it's very simple...take an empty bottle (wine, beer, soda, water, anything without a wide mouth will work fine)...lay it horizontally on the table, practice a steady stroke, having your cue go in and out of the bottle-try to do this without making contact with any part of the bottle-this will drastically improve consistancy; if you have the same stroke every time you shoot a particular shot, your results will become more predictable...this will also help you get a feel for imagining how the shot will go before you shoot it, also adding to consistency...AND you can apply it to every type of shot, or every kind of drill you might try in the future-needless to say, you should practice this drill before moving on to anything else...

I used to shoot with a wild, fluent Phillipino stroke (opposite of a steady stroke), and I've switched now to more of a snooker style, and this works better for me...there is no right or wrong style, it's what works best for the player...whether or not this style appeals to you, I recommend giving it a try, after all you won't know how it'll work for ya until you do.

Hope this helps,
-Aaron Silva
Proper_English
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Postby shark on Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:18 am

All drills are geared toward to improve consistency.. The better question would be, where do you want to be consistent? pocketting or cueball control?
shark
EPT PHI Player
EPT PHI Player

Postby t3ngl0ng on Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:43 pm

Hm, I may not have the perfect best stroke, but I've already done the bottle drill many times already. I'm currently stuck between two different styles of stroking. One of them is similar to pagulayen's stroke, and the other is similar to a mix between reyes' and bustamante's stroke. Both of them seem to work fine (as in when I use the two, I play about the same). For me, I have to definitely improve the consistency of my pocketing. Some games I pocket most of the balls consistently, but too many games, I just completely lose it and miss easy angle shots turn after turn. It's frustrating to have this happen so many times. I'm not sure if I should stick with an aiming system, or if I should just work on playing by instincts instead :X... I'll see if I can videotape a match or two the next time I go back to my poolhall to play so somebody can actually see and give me some pointers. I hardly get any from the players here. I probably won't be able to do this until 3-4 weeks later cause I'm stuck at school :[, so as of now I'm just going to practice my stroke for a while everyday.
t3ngl0ng
Forum Amateur
Forum Amateur

Postby murcielago on Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:40 am

Joe Tucker has some of the best learning tools on the market. I have the Guaranteed Improvement booklet with the accompanying DVD and I think they're great. You just have to be very discplined and really dedicate yourself to complete the drills, which I am not. :dead: I can't see how you would'nt get better doing drills like this for example
murcielago
Forum Crusader
Forum Crusader

Return to Practice Drills and Shots