Cutshot aiming inconsistencies

Submit your practice drills or routines in this forum using the CueTable diagramming tool. This will be a single location for people to find help with drills and practice routines.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Rule 1: Posts must be in English or have an English translation.
Rule 2: No spamming, trolling, flaming or use of foul, defamatory or abusive language.
Rule 3: Any posts that encourage illegal intent will be removed and the account disabled immediately.
Rule 4: No advertising of any sort. You may advertise in the Advertising forum only.

The moderators reserve the right to edit, delete, or prune any and all Messages which, in our opinion, violates any of the rules as stated above. Offenders will be warned and may be banned for non-compliance.

Cutshot aiming inconsistencies

Postby CanCanCase on Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:42 pm

Back at the game after skipping out on the world for 5 years. I just got a new Olhausen table - level, straight, and covered in tournament green "speed cloth"... I've made conditions as similar to the tables I used to play on as possible. Same cues, same balls, same library books and videos on the shelf. I used to be an 8+ average BCA league shooter. Here's the problem: as my cut shots approach 45 or more degrees, my pocketing percentage goes WAY down... as in, I can run a table with stop-shots, I can break apart even the worst of problem clusters, I'm banking as well as I ever did, and position play is good (but can always use work) but when it comes to medium or thin cuts, something has changed and my aim is off.

I can't say if I'm over or under-cutting, and I can't say if it's just left-hand or right-hand cuts because it's all of the above. Cuts down the rail don't seem to matter either... I'm missing those just as often.

This wasn't a problem when I've played in the past, and while I could easily blame the change in lighting conditions, my eyes, solar flares, humidity or powers allmighty, I'm not willing to make any excuses. I've gone back to fundamentals... stroke, breathing, stance, routine... it's all there.

My first choice would be to spend some time with a decent instructor, but there don't seem to be any (at least not advertised) on the Southern Oregon Coast. As a second best option, does anyone have a good set of practice drills or a tutorial that would help with aiming, consistency and cuts? What is commonly wrong when 2-ball aiming goes to crap?

Any help is, of course, appreciated!
-Case
CanCanCase
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Re: Cutshot aiming inconsistencies

Postby BlowFish on Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:55 pm

Practice... Practice... Practice the shots that you don't know or miss often... :shock:
My Cues:

Mezz - "Something that is loved, something that is treasured".

"Never interrupt your opponent, when he is making a mistake."
BlowFish
EPT PHI Champ I
EPT PHI Champ I

Postby monsieurx on Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:11 am

Practice is one thing, but the other is remembering how you used to do those before. When you were confident... I remember how i learned my cutting skills in the past and then when i reapplied this today, it helps a lot. The second thing, is to aim but not aim when you shoot, you should know where to hit. That's the part that made me improve the consistency of those shot. Last but not least, practice from close and then gradually increase the distance.
monsieurx
Forum Amateur
Forum Amateur

Postby pacman on Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:10 am

to get back on your rythem is to go back into your basics and practice more for you to adjust and accustomed yourself. There are a lot of aiming techniques now that you can watch on youtube but unfortunately it will mess you up further in the beginning.
t0 bE........oR n0t t0 bE.........oR n0t t0 bE...................
iF u DoN't WaNt to ExTiNcT, uNlEaSh YoUr kIlLeR iNsTiNcT!!!!!
pacman
EPT PHI Committee/Champ III
EPT PHI Committee/Champ III

Postby Trisha_silvester on Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:27 pm

I've been measuring/practicing/testing against a long diagonal straight in shot and I'm about the same now as when I started: about 10 out of 15; I've done 15 out of 15 only about half a dozen times and once did 29 out of 30).
Trisha_silvester
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

Return to Practice Drills and Shots