A good warm up drill for cue ball control

Submit your practice drills or routines in this forum using the CueTable diagramming tool. This will be a single location for people to find help with drills and practice routines.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Rule 1: Posts must be in English or have an English translation.
Rule 2: No spamming, trolling, flaming or use of foul, defamatory or abusive language.
Rule 3: Any posts that encourage illegal intent will be removed and the account disabled immediately.
Rule 4: No advertising of any sort. You may advertise in the Advertising forum only.

The moderators reserve the right to edit, delete, or prune any and all Messages which, in our opinion, violates any of the rules as stated above. Offenders will be warned and may be banned for non-compliance.

A good warm up drill for cue ball control

Postby BurloakB on Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:55 am

Lately I've been doing a new drill that develops my stun shots and position strategy. I'm sure this is in the pro skills drill book or something, but I just started doing this to get my stroke and timing in check before a night of play.

I randomly place seven striped balls and the 8 on the table keeping them all at least 5 inches off any rail.

The object is to make each object ball, stun the cue ball and get position on the nest object ball. I start out with ball in hand, then it's all up to good judgement. The cue ball cannot touch any rail, although a slight stun-run-through of 1-2" is acceptable.

This is a great drill for forcing you to think many shots ahead. If you pick a bad first shot, you will fail almost immediately. If you pick a bad second or third shot, you will most likely fail at the very end.

Try it, you will learn to deconstruct the run out from the last ball forward, something the pros have mastered. I know a lot of people approach the game of 8ball with an opportunistic philosophy, taking whichever ball will lead them to the easiest run out.

This drill will force you to commit early to a proper game plan and then stick with it.

Once you get really good with it, start throwing some opponent balls in the mix to increase the difficulty. You can also start placing the balls further apart or closer to the rails to increase difficulty.

I have increased my cue ball control and position play a lot with this drill.
BurloakB
Forum Thinker
Forum Thinker

Postby TheConArtist on Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:42 am

sounds like a good drill,
TheConArtist
Forum Catechist
Forum Catechist

Postby BurloakB on Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:37 am

TheConArtist wrote:sounds like a good drill,

Thanks, I think I've only completed it a few times.

It all comes down to two important factors. How difficult the shots are and how good your decisions are.

Generally the drill will break me one way or the other. That's what it should do, if it's challenging.

I don't like the drills that I can beat. I get bored with those drills.

If the drill has my number, it's like a girl that won't give me the time of day.
Irresistable. :lol:
BurloakB
Forum Thinker
Forum Thinker

Postby Stevelightning on Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:51 am

This is a very challenging drill. My playing partner and me have kind of turn it into a game against each other.
Stevelightning
Forum Crusader
Forum Crusader

Re: A good warm up drill for cue ball control

Postby pgm3 on Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:04 pm

This is a very good idea, I think I'll modify a little bit by puttinig balls on places where I usually miss the positioning and i found hard to pocket as well, then perhaps I would improve my game.. Thanks for sharing dude..
pgm3
Forum Amateur
Forum Amateur

Return to Practice Drills and Shots