New Article - Improve your pocketing by learning throw

Important announcements from the forum moderators.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Rule 1: Posts must be in English or have an English translation.
Rule 2: No spamming, trolling, flaming or use of foul, defamatory or abusive language.
Rule 3: Any posts that encourage illegal intent will be removed and the account disabled immediately.
Rule 4: No advertising of any sort. You may advertise in the Advertising forum only.

The moderators reserve the right to edit, delete, or prune any and all Messages which, in our opinion, violates any of the rules as stated above. Offenders will be warned and may be banned for non-compliance.

New Article - Improve your pocketing by learning throw

Postby BECue on Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:50 am

Improve your pocketing skills by learning Throw

This week I had a lightbulb go off in my head about something that I want to share with you. I was teaching a lesson at Slate's and my student just couldn't understand the concept of throw. I tried demonstrating two balls frozen together, I tried putting three balls on the long rail, two frozen and one off the rail, I tried explaining about hitting something off to the side. She still didn't get it.

Now my student is an extremely intelligent, dedicated person who works hard at her game and I was getting frustrated. What she said, and the implications changed how I see pocketing balls! I asked her what she wasn't getting. Her answer was enlightening. She didn't understand why the ball didn't go in when you hit the contact point. She had always been told that to make the ball, you have to hit the contact point.

Basically what she said was, "you mean you don't hit the contact point to make the ball on cut shots?" And, the answer is yes!! You don't hit the contact point because throw is real and it affects the path of the object ball.

Read more about Throw...
Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend. - Bruce Lee
BECue
Moderator/Cuemaker
Moderator/Cuemaker

Re: New Article - Improve your pocketing by learning throw

Postby Rooster on Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:59 pm

This is very true and I will totally agree!
I was also frustated missing ball in hand shots due to throw.
I know about throw and I'm trying to avoid it or at least minimize.

Later I work backwards. I uses throw to pocket balls, instead of avoiding throw to avoid miss shots.
Once you gets familiar of using the throw effect, you will also start avoiding it for those crucial shots.

I've notice that my WD700 throws more than my ALPHA.
:wink:
A good beginning makes a good ending. - English Proverb
Rooster
Forum Thinker
Forum Thinker

Postby pacman on Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:28 am

understanding throw will elevate your game same as knowing deflection, though throw has more uses when familiarized. There are crucial shots you can make using it and also very essential on making preparations.

Boils down as usual to knowing how your cue reacts and adapt how to make the throw to your advantage.
t0 bE........oR n0t t0 bE.........oR n0t t0 bE...................
iF u DoN't WaNt to ExTiNcT, uNlEaSh YoUr kIlLeR iNsTiNcT!!!!!
pacman
EPT PHI Committee/Champ III
EPT PHI Committee/Champ III

Postby Trisha_silvester on Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:41 am

Be sure you have practiced break shots a lot. It is important to be very good at pocketing the two wing balls. The two wing balls are the solid balls at the wide ends of the triangle.
Trisha_silvester
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

Return to Announcements